Share This Page:

Friday 9th December

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
GGHT

Friday 9th December

Post by GGHT »

In light of the lack of new threads and the ongoing deep political discussion I thought I'd take the opportunity to start one about good old fashioned phys :D

What: Short, steep hill repeats (Hill sprints).
Easy 2 mile jog to warm-up, one warm-up run up at bit slower than target intensity then start. Take the HR to about 90-95% of max, keep running at top for 20yds, slow jog downhill to recover. Around the 10 mark.

Why: Erm to strengthen legs before I start pounding the track as of next week.

6 weeks until PRMC!
dalo

Post by dalo »

Remember the track is good for training but you should still do half of your running on cross country or uneven ground. This is because running on the track or running on roads only built up certain legs muscles. Whereas cross country does the lot.
915 trp every womans pet, every mans regret.
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Nothing, I`m ill. :) :) :) :) :-? :x :cry: :o
dalo

Post by dalo »

Today.

What - Long run, dont know what distance.

Why - To sweat the beers out from last night :D
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Yeh Dalo I do a variety of roads, trails, track etc the only one I don't use is the treadmill, which I hate.

Chappy ya slacker get out the door!
dalo

Post by dalo »

Yeh stay away from treadmill, Its not good.
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

Today - just some fun circuit training to see how crap my maximums are.. :) Might post them afterwards if I fancy a laugh.
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

I need to start doing circuits again badly. What I need to start doing is going for an easy run in the morning to get the miles in then do circuits in the night.
cosmo

Post by cosmo »

Today - 5 mile run, loads of pressups, situps, high intensity workout on my rowing machine, weights (just do my arms).

why - PRMC in 10 days!!
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Got about 3 road races pencilled in pre-PRMC all around the 5k mark, got either a 2.5 or 5 miler on Boxing Day which should be fun. :roll:

I thought they'd come in handy so I can give it my all down there and learn to carry on despite wanting to stop, plus the distances are short/intense.
Daveb

Post by Daveb »

What - Probably gym to work on upper body strength. Also cross trainer as this is non-impact and helps a little with CV. Depends on how injury fairing.
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

What - Probably a 5k run late this afternoon, followed by pushups situps etc. follwed by (at 20.00) Rampant sex...

Why - Pjft just around the corner....and its been a long time.
Not that you all wanted to know that. sorry
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Any of you here ever try tempo runs?

It's a form of speed training where you run at a pace/heartrate where the lactic acid in your bloodstream has risen high enough to make things uncomfortable, but not quite bad enough to slow you down.
If you do them enough at the right pace you will raise your lactate threshold which in other words means you will have better endurance when the going gets tough.

Your heartrate is supposed to be in the 85%-90 range for over 20 minutes to benefit, (as were all around the 20 mark 170-180bpm is about right) at this pace you shouldn't be able to talk very much (apart to say"f*** off!" lol).

I've done them on the track and they help a lot, I know PRMC isn't a roadrace but surely it's got to help.

http://www.runningtimes.com/issues/03nov/pfitzinger.htm
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

What: 1 mile medium pace :cry: have to take it slow thanks to shin splints! Followed by 20 mitues streching my leg muscles. Followed by 43 press ups and 130 sit ups, then work for five hours serving snobby little rich customers :lol:

Why: POC in March

I heard/was tought you should never train in the lactc acid threshold because you can get the benifits of endurance through working at 65-75% anaerobically for 45 minutes or longer. If you are training at 85%-90 this is aerobic and classed as sprinting? :-?
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

letsrole wrote: I heard/was tought you should never train in the lactc acid threshold because you can get the benifits of endurance through working at 65-75% anaerobically for 45 minutes or longer. If you are training at 85%-90 this is aerobic and classed as sprinting? :-?
Erm anaerobic is what sprinting would be, exercising without sufficent oxygen for your body to remove lactic acid.
Excersising at 65-75% of HR would be low-mid range aerobic.
You can get endurance, of course anything where your heartrate goes over 60% for a period of time will give you aerobic endurance but if you train close to your threshold without exceeding it, you'll raise it.