Share This Page:

Support for families, girlfriends, wives, etc....

Talk about Military Life, Families, Relatives, Wives, Mothers, Fathers, Brothers and Sisters and the community.
FozzyNumber4

Support for families, girlfriends, wives, etc....

Post by FozzyNumber4 »

Hi all,

I was hoping that somebody could point me in the direction of a support group/forum/chat room for the families and partners of serving or potential marines. A search hasn't yielded anything and the only link I could find (i.e. the one in this forum) doesn't seem to work anymore???

I'm hoping to be in the Officer intake for 2005 and have recently been going through the paperwork with my ACLO, training and generally increasing my knowledge on the Corps in preparation. Its been hard for me to think or talk about much else over the last couple of months, but I think that last night my long-term partner suddenly realised that I was actually intent on doing this and it wasn't a phase I was going through.

I'm sure that we cannot be the only people to go through the conversation we had last night about how my career choice would effectively end a lot of the dreams and aspirations my girlfriend has for her career and life in general, let alone the prospect of spending so much time away from eachother. Then there's the house we've bought and all the other trappings of an established civvy lifestyle...

Essentially, we have said that we are going to try and keep an open mind on things as the process goes on and certainty begins to increase on my own determination and the liklihood of passing all the required interviews and tests. However, with tears at this early stage I'd like to speak to others who have or are going through this to get different perspectives on the situation and how to approach it.

Sorry for such a long post. Your opinions are all welcome!
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Foz there are a few wive's/partners who use the site, I'm sure they'll give you their perspective.
For your own info go to the Joining Royal marines section and search under the term POC.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Clown

Re: Support for families, girlfriends, wives, etc....

Post by Clown »

Hi,

Im a army spouce and it's not easy work I will admit. It's hard to accept at time that they job does come before you. I have been with my partner for nearly 2 years now and although we do not own a house like yourself it is still difficult the only bonus i ahve is that i live in the area where he is based. However the long periods of time (at times 6 months) I have to spend without him are VERY hard and upsetting and thats before you start to worry about where they are. It will test your relationship there is no question but I believe if you love each other enough and your relationship is strong enough you can make it, there will be tears and smiles all the way!!!

Hope you get what you want and why don't you suggest your girlfriend comes on here if she is worried.
flo

Post by flo »

Ive been married to the military (and i mean that) :lol: for 10years, before which i was also serving, so can see both sides from different perspectives. Just because you have to relocate does NOT mean the end of dreams and ambitions for your girlfriend, if anything it makes you more resolute to achieve them. I see you have a house, that is not a problem, you could rent it out and live in married quarters (if you are married). But even if you are not the MQ laws are going through some slow changes with the intention of allowing established couples the right to live together. but there will be a criteria to meet and this change may not happen for a few years.
As for support groups for british wives and girlfriends there is only one that i know off and that is forces wives on msn. But being honest you dont need support groups as such because the comararderie is there, you just have to get involved.