Share This Page:

Vietnam?????

General information on Military History.
Liver

Vietnam?????

Post by Liver »

I was just wondering if anyone knows any little known facts about Vietnam for two reasons, firstly its interesting and secondly and most importantly i have a GCSE history exam on vietnam soon and i thought that to include facts like that would make me look better :D - the only one i have so far is the Aussie SAS kill to casualty ratio - cheers Liver
minimac

Post by minimac »

Vietnam?

What syllabus do you do?

MM

EDIT: Should have used a PM :oops:
Last edited by minimac on Tue 18 May, 2004 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liver

Post by Liver »

Edexel

Post by Guest »

Yes, yet again the Yanks FCUKED UP big style, they underestimated their enemy yet again.

On another note, what is it your actually looking for?
I know the Americans took penicilin to ward off getting the clap, but this backfired, the body got used to it,and a new strain emerged, Vietnam Rose. which i belive then, you couldn`t get rid of :o
Liver

Post by Liver »

any facts that arnt so commonly known.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

See if you can find a copy of "MI6" by Stephen Dorrill and look up pages 711 through 719, that ought to give you some 'behind the scenes' information.

Post by Guest »

I have a copy of a US Army medical film (1967) somewhere in the house, had it for a lecture on my Juniors. Some of the wounds in there are quite good, especially after the doc`s have finished doing their bit.
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

I think the main thing to learn about Vietnam is that the US did not have the political will to fight the war on the level that was required. The VC & NVA were fighting total war, yet the US was only fighting a limited war. When they really wanted to end the conflict they bombed Hanoi for a few days & the VC & NVA were at the bargaining table in no time.

Plus all the other stuff about them underestimating the enemy, employing the wrong tactics etc...
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Could include the fact that, British DID serve in Vietnam, very limited scale but, they did. Spec. Forces on exchanges with SEALs, Green Berets etc. were the order of the day. But SAS & SBA despised Yank SF, cause they did things like light fires giving position away etc. bad soldiering basically.Agent Orange still causing birth defects. Dunno anymore.
Pasha

Post by Pasha »

Could include the fact that, British DID serve in Vietnam, very limited scale but, they did.
Has anybody ever been able to substantiate that rumour? In lieu of any firm on that, I'd stick with the acknowledged military presence in Viet Nam, i.e. the Gurkha guards at the two embassies. Uniformed in Sai-Gon and plain clothed in Ha-Noi.

As for the competence of US SF, try reading "The Secret War Against Hanoi" by Richard H. Shultz, Publisher: HarperCollins, ISBN: 0060932538. An amazing insight into the world of MACVSOG.
Regards!

Pasha
"To subdue the enemy without using force, is the acme of skill" Sun Tzu.
Liver

Post by Liver »

Cheers been helpful so far - ill se what i can do to find the books mentioned
Jon

Post by Jon »

Any particular event that you need to study?

You could mention that the Gulf of Tonkin incident, which instigated the war, may never have happened afterall.
Peace protesters only represented a minority of the american public - the majority supported escalation.
Barry Goldwater, a Presidential candidate in 64/68/72 (cant remember), advocated the use of nuclear weapons in VIetnam.
Ho Chi Minh was origionaly a nationalist untill very later on.
Johnson had a model of the battle of Khe Sanh in the oval office.
The majority of troops were volunteers - only a minority were drafted.
Many VietCong/NVA units contained Chinese military advisors.
Kissenger and a US general betted a case of Champagne on the outcome of the war.
The Paris Peace Conference began a year before any talking actually took place.
The communists victory was good for the Cold War - relations improved between the US, USSR and China after the war ended
The Best Is Yet To Come
AdamR

Post by AdamR »

Did you know that Ho Chi Minh was supported by the US during WWII in an effort to rid Indo China of the evil nip... they even helped him into power in postwar Vietnam but then bowed to political pressure from the French and allowed them to re absorb the place into the Fourth Republic.
What do you know about surfing major, you're from god damn New Jersey
Tab

Post by Tab »

The British took over in French Indo China [Vietnam] from the end of WW2 until the French could put a Army Group together that could take over, which was in 1946. Now every thing had been under control till that point, and some might say thanks to the Japanesse who had been pressed back into action to deal with out breaks of terrorism. When the French got back out their they tried to turn the clock back not only in their outlook but in their military thinking, but time had moved on.
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

There's a few good vietnam websites on the Net, All made by the Yanks so most of them are biased.