Share This Page:

Hello everyone - Introduction/medical question

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
RMotivated

Hello everyone - Introduction/medical question

Post by RMotivated »

Hello everyone,

My name is Ronan and I am an Irishman interested in joining the British Army - hopefully the Royal Irish Regiment,when I conclude my college studies in 2 and a half years time. I'm current studying Nutritional Biochemistry. I've been interested in joining the Army all my life and given the current entry requirements of the Irish Army,and given the fact that I lived in Suffolk for 2 years of my life I have determined that the British Army is for me. You guys go out there and make a real difference and I would like to be part of that.

Now for a medical question that I'm hoping will not act against me joining. Last May during some difficult times at home relating to drinking problems with my father and how it interfered with my studies the G.P prescribed me anti-depressants. The thing is I never took a single pill and my medical records can attest to it. The G.P gave them to me and said if I really feel like I need them then take them. He gave me a 30 days supply. The drug in question only becomes active after 30 days of continuous use. My remedy was to begin training more frequently,paying more attention to my studies and doing my best to make home-life and my fathers problems better. I knew and I know that I was not ,nor have ever been depressed.It was rough patch. Since then everything has been grand. I've been dedicated and motivated to enlisting and to my studies. I don't drink often,I don't smoke or do any drugs and yet I'm constantly seeing that if you have any history/ thought to have history of depression you are medically disqualified. I have family who have served and some who continue to serve and I know this is what I want to do. I would hate to be rejected on the basis that I was prescribed drugs I never took. I'd be willing to even do lie-detector tests on this to prove this to recruiters/medical officers. Tomorrow/Monday I will be seeing my G.P,I will explain my circumstances and I hope to have my record amended or to have extenuating circumstances added to the records.

I apologize for the wall of text and if I may ask does anyone have any information/advice for me on these matters.

Thank you for considering my post and thank you to all members who are serving,have served and who desire to serve.

Regards,

Ronan
Tab

Re: Hello everyone - Introduction/medical question

Post by Tab »

Tell them what you have said on your posting, and see what happens as you are not regular user of these and that they will have access to your medical records then they may look kindly upon you, Also it may be worth getting a letter from the doctor as well as a sort of belt and braces approach.
RMotivated

Post by RMotivated »

Tab wrote:Tell them what you have said on your posting, and see what happens as you are not regular user of these and that they will have access to your medical records then they may look kindly upon you, Also it may be worth getting a letter from the doctor as well as a sort of belt and braces approach.
thank you for the reply.

I have been speaking to an ex-officer that served in the BA overnight and this morning and leading from his advice I have contacted my local G.P for a meeting. My aim is to get this stricken from my records as it would act against me strongly despite having never taken the medication. I was told I should try to speak to recruiters online,that there would be a live-chat on the BA website but I have been unable to find it. If anyone has any information on how I could get in contact with a recruiter I would really appreciate it.

My first step is to join my local reserve unit while I am still in college. If I am able to join with a reserve unit my reasoning is that I will have had experience in Military life and the BA will see that and consider me more favorably. Is this a sound plan?
Tab

Post by Tab »

The steps you are taking are the right ones
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Just like to say welcome and hope you get the help and advice you requested.
RMotivated

Post by RMotivated »

Beast wrote:Just like to say welcome and hope you get the help and advice you requested.
thank you very much. I recently went down to my G.P and he was able to put a note beside the medication stating that I did not take it. It was an expensive 5 minute trip to the doctor but I had to do it. Appreciate the help, I look forward to gaining knowledge on these forums.