Share This Page:

RAF - Tattoo Removal

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
Artie

RAF - Tattoo Removal

Post by Artie »

Good afternoon all,

I sat my AST1 assessment this morning, my results were as follows:

Group scores - A 80, B 81, C 85, D 79, E 87, F 86

SS - VR 8, NR 8, WR 8, EC 6, MC 7, SR 9

They seemed to be very impressed with my results, and told me I could apply for any trade I wanted, although the Corporal recommended I apply for SNCO ATC.

My problem is, shortly after my test I had to get my tattoo approved by the Sergeant, this was however deemed unacceptable and my application has been closed.

I can't actually express how disappointed I am after the elation of passing the test.

My tattoo is a small, thin, single lined cross in between my shoulder blades (3" X 4"), the tip of which is just below the collar line, and cannot be seen when I am stood up straight.When I put my chin on my chest, 1cm of the tattoo is visible above the collar line due to the skin being stretched.

Is there any way I can appeal this decision?

I was told my test is valid for 5 years and if I get the tattoo removed I can re-apply.

I am fully committed to a career in the RAF, and if it is the last resort, will have the tattoo removed at a cost of X amount.

Do you think my results are high enough to leave me in good standing of getting through the selection process? (I would like to join as a 'squipper' (Survival Equipment Fitter), I'm currently an aerospace quality engineer and feel this would be a good progression.

My fitness is good, I'm achieving a green pass level currently and aiming towards light blue.

I just don't want to spend £300/£400 on removing the tattoo to not pass the selection interview.

What would you do? I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Many thanks,

Alan.