Share This Page:

Possible medical discharge help/advice needed.

Require help and assistance, please ask?
chrisholley

Possible medical discharge help/advice needed.

Post by chrisholley »

Hi,

I am after a little advice for my little brother.

He is currently 5 months into his second tour of afghan. 10 days ago the vehicle he was in hit a IED, luckily enough for him and my family he was flung free from the vehicle. He sustained minor cuts and bruises but has lost hearing in 1 ear.

He has been discharged from hospital in Bastion, and is having regular hearing tests. He will not go back out to his CP until his hearing returns, which is looking unlikely. He has failed all his hearing tests and the medical staff have no idea if his hearing will return.

He was adamant before the tour that when he returns he will give his notice in, he has had enough!!

I would like a little advice from anyone who knows the system! Do you think he should wait and NOT give his notice in as there may be a chance of being medically discharged?
Is there any chance of being medically discharged?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

Kindest Regards

Chris
Tab

Re: Possible medical discharge help/advice needed.

Post by Tab »

You have signed a contract with the Army for X number of years and you don't just give in your notice. He will need to seek advice on just how he goes about leaving the army and to play up about being deaf in one ear
chrisholley

Post by chrisholley »

He has not signed a contract for a certain amount of years. He passed out in November 2008, so he has to complete 3 years service (which has been done) then give 1 years notice to leave.
Scouse Lancer

Post by Scouse Lancer »

Hi Chris, so he is on an Open Engagement then, 1 Years notice required to terminate service.

Tell him to wait and go for his medical discharge, if his hearing does not return.
Once a Lancer always a Lancer, Ich Dien.

It must be accepted as a principle that the rifle, effective as it is, cannot replace the effect produced by the speed of the horse, the magnetism of the charge and the terror of cold steel. - British Cavalry Training Manual, 1907