Share This Page:

ADSC - Lichfield 23rd Aug

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
hanb1986

ADSC - Lichfield 23rd Aug

Post by hanb1986 »

Hi All,

I'm female, 26. Applied in Feb and finally got my place on ADSC on 23rd Aug at Lichfield. Excited now, but at the same time, it's a little scary!

Anyone got any advice? I'm interested to know the main differences from your final formal interview at the ACIO and the interview at ADSC. What kind of questions can I expect?

My first job choice is RE Surveyor so I've been working hard on my upper body strength. What's it like lifting the power bags? The closest I've got is lifting kettlebells onto stools at the gym!

What's the TST like? I've been brushing up on my GCSE maths but it's a struggle after being out of all that for 10 years!

It's been tough fitting all this in round my life, my job etc. But I'm really proud of how far I've come. This would be a major lifestyle change for me after working in an engineering office for 8 years, it's scary but I've not come this far just to give up.

Anyone else on for this date?
Millar

Re: ADSC - Lichfield 23rd Aug

Post by Millar »

Hiya,

Not sure if things are slightly different for Females as I know they go on different days to the lads, but I can tell you there's nothing to feel nervous about, you will be there with other people in the same boat so just stay calm and keep your head down.

The TST was difficult for me but Maths isn't my strongest subject, I think I needed a 75% pass rate or something for my job but I could be mistaken about that, it's just GCSE Maths with a few more difficult questions thrown in there, but you do get a calculator to use so that makes things slightly easier.

Kettlebells onto stools at the gym is good practice but the Power Bags will range from 10kg and go upto 45kg (think it's 30kg for girls) and instead of stool height it's about shoulder height, but you get a good demonstration first, and everyone supports each other and offers encouragement because like I said you're all in the same boat and you all wanna get through it.

The hardest part personally for me was the PT lesson, made even more challenging by me not drinking any water all day prior to doing it, but again aslong as you push yourself you will get through it, things may be different for girls, but we had a allot of circuit training exercises mixed with laps of the Gym, oh and you do your Jerry Can carry right before the PT Lesson.

I'm not sure how far your knowledge base is of ADSC have you done a Pre Selection before hand or gone straight to ADSC?

Good luck and keep us posted :)
hanb1986

Post by hanb1986 »

Thanks Millar!

Maths isn't my strongest point either, I know what I need to know to do my current job, that's it so going to be putting in a good few hours revision!

Think the standard for power bag lift is 35kg for RE, pretty heavy but I'll go for it til my arms give in! I'll be sure to drink plenty on the first day then.

Went to pre-selection day yeah, was really nervous but loved it in the end, the team tasks especially. Also got to do a spiro at the medical which could be interesting!

Thanks loads for the advice :D

When did you go to ADSC?
Millar

Post by Millar »

hanb1986 wrote:Thanks Millar!

Maths isn't my strongest point either, I know what I need to know to do my current job, that's it so going to be putting in a good few hours revision!

Think the standard for power bag lift is 35kg for RE, pretty heavy but I'll go for it til my arms give in! I'll be sure to drink plenty on the first day then.

Went to pre-selection day yeah, was really nervous but loved it in the end, the team tasks especially. Also got to do a spiro at the medical which could be interesting!

Thanks loads for the advice :D

When did you go to ADSC?
I went to ADSC about a Month or 2 ago, not sure from the top of my head, what's a spiro? lol

At my medical I had some small Scottish Women feel around my genitals and asking me to cough, a pretty strange experience haha
hanb1986

Post by hanb1986 »

Hi,

A spiros a test they do at the medical if you've got a history of asthma, something to do with testing lung capacity and recovery I think.

I won't have the genital issue but that doesn't mean they won't find something else to make us girls feel uncomfortable!

What kind of thing did you do for the PT session?
Millar

Post by Millar »

hanb1986 wrote:Hi,

A spiros a test they do at the medical if you've got a history of asthma, something to do with testing lung capacity and recovery I think.

I won't have the genital issue but that doesn't mean they won't find something else to make us girls feel uncomfortable!

What kind of thing did you do for the PT session?
The PT session was straight after the Jerry can carry and it went a little something like this:

10 Press ups, sprint length ways from 1 wall to another
5 Press ups, sprint around the gym 1 lap

10 sit ups, sprint length ways
5 sit ups, sprint around the gym

We done that for a total of 7 different exercises and then had a few laps around the Gym which they made into some sort of a race, there was something else but I've forgotten now, there was also a lengthy warm-up before the PT, not sure how different it will be for Girls.