Share This Page:

Thinking about signing up!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Millar

Re: Thinking about signing up!

Post by Millar »

Dunkers wrote:I've only managed to get enough spare time to do 2 other runs but they were both sub 12 so its not too bad, need to find more time so i can really improve but theres just not enough time in a day lol

Gym work has all improved so thats a plus.

Not long now millar, bet it will be such a relief just finally getting there.
Yea Ino how you feel, could you not possibly run to and from work or is the distance to great? I've heard of people doing that, clever way of training tbh.

That's good news, just gradually increase the intensity as you go along and you will be a machine before you now it! :)

Yea not long at all starting to get the nerves now, giving my 4 weeks notice in soon for my flat, my Cat has gone to a new home, and I'm starting to give away my furniture, so can't be long left now
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Well I fit I'M A SCAMMER SPAMMER!!! and bathrooms so i'm not always in one place, plus i'd have to be a machine to rub with all my tools lol as you said though it would be a big help if i could.

Yeah i'll start resorting to benching worktops or something lol

Yeah just get rid of all your stuff now and just eat beans and it'll be like your there already lol
Millar

Post by Millar »

At this rate I'll be living in a tent in some field anyway haha
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

Glad to hear things are going well for both of you

I think I want to join the rifles and get on the front line

I like the idea of running to work but I would stink even after deodorant haha

I have a question if i was to do the selection days and failed on the run would I have to wait 6months to try again? Im kinda in the mind set now I just want to go for the TA to get and idea of it all and also get fit while I train, Im sure I would be able to do the exercise if I push myself but dont want to fail the selection and then have to wait 6months
Millar

Post by Millar »

Oaten wrote:Glad to hear things are going well for both of you

I have a question if i was to do the selection days and failed on the run would I have to wait 6months to try again? Im kinda in the mind set now I just want to go for the TA to get and idea of it all and also get fit while I train, Im sure I would be able to do the exercise if I push myself but dont want to fail the selection and then have to wait 6months

Thanks m8

Rifles ey? Will be very exciting that's for sure.

Even if it's walking to work and running home, once your home you could attempt some sit ups and press ups before getting a shower, it's all about fitting some peices of fitness in with your daily routine.

Most of the time you won't go straight to ADSC (Selection) most Careers offices have you do a IDSC first (practice ADSC), were they access your fitness to see if your of ADSC standards, if your not they will give you a time scale to improve and invite you back to re-attempt it, my friend failed 5 times before getting his date for ADSC, he had to wait 2 weeks sometimes 4 between each IDSC.

if worst comes to worst, and you do get sent to ADSC before your ready and due to which fail on the fitness, you will be given a deferral, it's not usually as long as 6 Months, but it all depends how badly you do fail.

There's something called "Insight" coarses to give you an idea on Army life, it's a 1 week coarse were you live the life of Soldier, you spend a night out in the weeds, visit Phase 1 Training camps, eat in the naffi's and you get a really good understanding of Army life, you can do this week at any stage of your application, again though, this all depends on your careers office and how they do things, so best going in and having a good talk with them, and seeing what's available.
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

Millar wrote:
Oaten wrote:Glad to hear things are going well for both of you

Thanks m8

Rifles ey? Will be very exciting that's for sure.

Even if it's walking to work and running home, once your home you could attempt some sit ups and press ups before getting a shower, it's all about fitting some peices of fitness in with your daily routine.

Most of the time you won't go straight to ADSC (Selection) most Careers offices have you do a IDSC first (practice ADSC), were they access your fitness to see if your of ADSC standards, if your not they will give you a time scale to improve and invite you back to re-attempt it, my friend failed 5 times before getting his date for ADSC, he had to wait 2 weeks sometimes 4 between each IDSC.

if worst comes to worst, and you do get sent to ADSC before your ready and due to which fail on the fitness, you will be given a deferral, it's not usually as long as 6 Months, but it all depends how badly you do fail.

There's something called "Insight" coarses to give you an idea on Army life, it's a 1 week coarse were you live the life of Soldier, you spend a night out in the weeds, visit Phase 1 Training camps, eat in the naffi's and you get a really good understanding of Army life, you can do this week at any stage of your application, again though, this all depends on your careers office and how they do things, so best going in and having a good talk with them, and seeing what's available.
Yeah I dont think I would want to do anything else tbh

Ah right I may just give it a month and see where my fitness, Im going to start walking to work and then running home like you said just to get a little more exercise in there and also saves fuel :D
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Yeah the rifles was what i was going to persue too, not sure which regiment though, still deciding.

How's the running going anyway oaten?
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

Dunkers wrote:Yeah the rifles was what i was going to persue too, not sure which regiment though, still deciding.

Dont really get time to go out and run so i just do it at the gym while im there after I done shoulders today I ran a mile and half in 12:13 but thats on a tredmill.

Im also debating what to do about joining weather to just jump straight into the regs and quit my job after passing selection or do the TA first and do the whole precess twice if I do like it and want to go in the regs :-? hmmmmm stuck!

Your training going well?
Millar

Post by Millar »

Oaten wrote:
Dunkers wrote:Yeah the rifles was what i was going to persue too, not sure which regiment though, still deciding.

Dont really get time to go out and run so i just do it at the gym while im there after I done shoulders today I ran a mile and half in 12:13 but thats on a tredmill.

Im also debating what to do about joining weather to just jump straight into the regs and quit my job after passing selection or do the TA first and do the whole precess twice if I do like it and want to go in the regs :-? hmmmmm stuck!

Your training going well?
I quit my Job after passing selection so I could concentrate on fitness, but the Gym 5 days a week, can get a little annoying after a while, I'd leave it until a Month or 2 before Phase 1
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

mile and half time down to 11:40 i feel as if im getting fitter :)
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

10mins 36secs today :)
Millar

Post by Millar »

Oaten wrote:10mins 36secs today :)
Nice you would pass Pre-Selection with a time like that
hanb1986

Post by hanb1986 »

I've not long passed ADSC :D happy days, so just thought I'd share some experience.

We did an awesome PT session the night before the run, was really surprised at how tired my legs felt the next day and it had a major affect on my run time which I was really disappointed with.

If I could change anything about my training over the last 6 months knowing this I would have gone to football training on a Thursday night and done my 1.5m test run on the Friday after (in the morning before work) on tired legs so I had a true ADSC time and my legs got used to working that hard that tired.

Thems the breaks, but just thought I'd pass this on to you guys to use.

Best of luck in your training and at ADSC :D
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Cheers for the advice hanb! I usually go for my run after football training on a wednesday for thay exact reason, or after tennis or squash practice just because they're a killer lol not so much on legs though.

At least you still managed to pass your adsc though! Preps key i guess. What role/regiment have you gone for?

Oaten they are some serious improvements, well done! Keep up that progress and it'll be a breeze lol i managed a time of 11.16 on friday, and got a 10. 49 yesterday ( leftover booze in the system must of helped).
You made a decision on how you're gonna join up yet? I.e TA or regs.
Millar

Post by Millar »

Well done on passing ADSC, one of the greatest feelings in the world isn't it?

The PT lesson is a killer, everyone including myself that I have spoken to that's done ADSC, all commented on how much it does effect your 1.5mile the next day.