Share This Page:

Thinking about signing up!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Oaten

Thinking about signing up!

Post by Oaten »

Hi all

Im 21 and since the age of about 17 ive always thought about joining the army and now I want to get fitter to sign up. Ive always had the worry that im not fit enough and confident enough so I really need to work on both of those before.

So what im looking for are some good diets to stick to ive got a couple of ideas already from reading the forum just want a few more

Also how fit do you really need to be the get through selection and training? I know you will be training and getting fit but its always good to be ahead of the game

If anyone else has any info they think I might need then let me know also

Cheers all
Dunkers

Re: Thinking about signing up!

Post by Dunkers »

Hey Oaten,

I'm in the exactly the same boat as you mate, only I'm almost 22 and have realised that this is something I need to do now, instead of forever regretting not having gone through with it when I had the chance.

What are you thinking about doing in the army may i ask?
Where abouts are you from too?
Millar

Post by Millar »

Diet shouldn't be to much a problem just eat sensibly, I pig out on weekends and then eat sensibly all week, works for me.

ADSC requires a Basic level of fitness, if you run 3/4 days a week aiming for 3 Mile each time you should get fit enough for selection rather quickly ofcourse the fitter you are the better, but don't do so much you injure yourself.

I've posted more detailed diet and fitness schedules on other similar posts you might have already seen them if not have a look if you want a more detailed idea.

Hope this helps, keep us posted about your progress.
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

That's what I'm thinking and I actually think I would love it. I think I may join the TA first to get my fitness up then go into the regs. I'm from taunton, yourself?
Dunkers wrote:Hey Oaten,

I'm in the exactly the same boat as you mate, only I'm almost 22 and have realised that this is something I need to do now, instead of forever regretting not having gone through with it when I had the chance.

What are you thinking about doing in the army may i ask?
Where abouts are you from too?
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

Millar wrote:Diet shouldn't be to much a problem just eat sensibly, I pig out on weekends and then eat sensibly all week, works for me.

ADSC requires a Basic level of fitness, if you run 3/4 days a week aiming for 3 Mile each time you should get fit enough for selection rather quickly ofcourse the fitter you are the better, but don't do so much you injure yourself.

I've posted more detailed diet and fitness schedules on other similar posts you might have already seen them if not have a look if you want a more detailed idea.

Hope this helps, keep us posted about your progress.
That's what I've started to do over this weekend and also going to start the running 2moro. I seen one post you made where abouts are the others?

Cheers
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Yeah, I cant see myself hating it, I know it'll be tough and there will be a lot of bullshit on the way but its never put me off the idea lol

But yeah I think I'm roughly fit enough apart from the running, which is obviously the most important part so will have to crack on with that.

What are the roles that you'd be going for?

I'm from Deal in Kent, just a few miles from the port of Dover. Abot 250 miles from you.
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

Im thinking the same tbh. At the moment I work at a supermarket as a supervisor and I deal with so much bullshit there and don't get anywhere fast at least in the army you get timescales for phase 1 and 2 which I can deal with.

I want to be in the infantry right on the front line, what about you? Also have you signed up yet?
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Yeah at least theres a visible goal of ranking up and bettering yourself.

Exactly the same, people assume that if you're wanting to join the infantry its due to you being the sharpest tool, but its the only role that interests me.

No not yet, I want to get a high base fitness before i start the whole process so i dont end up cramming too much last minute training if everything goes quickly. Have you?
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Not being the sharpest tool* sorry
Millar

Post by Millar »

Dunkers wrote:Not being the sharpest tool* sorry
You show them stereotypes!! lol
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Haha yeah, that's what I get for using my phone to post lol
Millar

Post by Millar »

Dunkers wrote:Haha yeah, that's what I get for using my phone to post lol
Happens to me all the time while texting on an I.Phone or something lol
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Technology aye lol

You haven't got long to go then millar, do you mind me asking what you chose?
Oaten

Post by Oaten »

Im going to join the gym tomorrow i think and get a plan together nail the gym hard for a month or 2 then sign up and keep hitting the gym hard till i go in, Im going to give it 110%
Dunkers

Post by Dunkers »

Yeah i've really got to start running again, until now I've only gone once a week and that was just for stress relief lol

Going to make sure i'm comfortable enough to exceed the requirements even if only by a small fraction before starting up. Were you planning to join a specific section of the Rifles? Or hadnt you thought about it yet?

Overall I cant see myself having too much trouble with anything practical, i.e the fitness, its the interviews that could be my downfall lol not that im socially awkward or incapable of speaking, but I tend to over analyse everything i say and always fear how it might come across lol

Sorry for the essay chaps.