Share This Page:

Army - Rifles?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
smdk

Army - Rifles?

Post by smdk »

Are the rifles hard to get into?
What do they expect, fitness wise, from us?

Tab

Re: Army - Rifles?

Post by Tab »

These days of cut backs it will get harder and harder to get into any Regiment as soldiers will transfer into any openings from other Regiments that are being disbanded
smdk

Post by smdk »

Yeah.
I originally went through Royal Marines Commando, reached week 16 and disliked it/lost a huge interest and moral in it, so I decided to drop it.
My fitness is at it's peak, along with my mental ability to continue and thrive.

I therefore want to look into clipping myself into the forces, will try to get the application done as soon as possible.
Just wondering what the rifles are like, their initial tasking on fitness, is it similar to the army's fitness/harder?

Just wondering, this may help me in the future.

As I said, the Royal Marines weren't for me, really hard and challenging, not to say that I'm not looking for a challenge else I wouldn't have got to week 16 + 2 in hunter, in the RMC, but at the end of the day, some people aren't mentally capable to withstand 16weeks of hard-scure training + injuring themselves and going to hunter company.
ofens

Post by ofens »

I'm in Rifles training at the moment.
It is much easier to get into than RM (I was in training there a few years ago).
There are some really fit people that could easily have gotten into, say, Para or RM training, but chose Rifles for various reasons.
Likewise there are those who are nowhere near fit enough to have done that but have managed to get into any "line infantry" (even though in The Rifles we don't consider ourselves to be "line infantry"!).

Day to day we don't do as much fitness training as RM, some days you don't do any (at Lympstone we were always, always doing PT and getting sprints and press ups on other lessons too).
It is still extremely good and unique from other infantry for a number of reasons that made me interested enough to join :-)
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]