Share This Page:

what should i expect?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
kizzer182

what should i expect?

Post by kizzer182 »

Firstly I applied for the Raf regiment and when I had my interviews the knowledge I had to know was quite detailed, I could still sit that interview and name all the regiments ware there all based I could name the joining process and I could tell you what happens each week on the basic training.

But that's not what I'm going to do any more. I have attended PGSC (pre gunner section course) and I wasn't selected. I'm 24 next month and I can't keep having set backs I want a family ect in the future. So... iv just sent my application off for the army I would like a trade so have put royal logistics core or royal signals as my preferred regiments to join.

I'm just a little worried as I may have been a bit hasty in sending this application off. I have no knowledge off what I.need to know on.the interviews and BARB test. I done.the practice tests and.was hitting 80-100% on them except the technical test,

Can some one guide me in the right direction as what I need to know ect, I have no doubt in my mind that ill fail the fitness test, i run a 3 mile in 20mins and train 4-5 times a week.

Thanks Kieran
Millar

Re: what should i expect?

Post by Millar »

Hi firstly don't worry about your current knowledge of the Army at this present stage as if all you have done thus far is sign up on the website or filled an application form out, they won't expect you to know anything, anyway here is a list of how the joining up process went for me:

Phone call inviting me down for an informal Interview 1
Presentation
BARB Testing
Basic Skills Testing
Job Selection
Insight Course (week away with Army to see what life is like as a soldier)
IDSC (Initial 1 day selection testing to see if your ready for ADSC and to give you an idea what to expect)
Formal Interview 2
ADSC
Formal Interview 3
Phone call with Basic Training Start Date
Notice Paper Signing
Formal Oath to Queen
Basic Phase 1

BARB Test is a test you will more than likely do first, it's a test you take on a touch screen computer and you are asked a series of fast questions and you must answer as many correctly and quickly as possible.

The Basic Skills Testing is basic GCSE Math and English testing if you want the Royal Signals you must score rather high for most jobs, so best brush up on your Maths and English if your a little rusty.

Ice Breaker you will have to do at some point,this is were you will stand up infront of strangers and talk about yourself and reasons for joining the Army, the Icebreaker is made up of four sections below:

Personal Details - 30 seconds

Topic - 1 Minute 30 seconds

Reasons for joining the Army - 30 seconds

First Job choice - 30 seconds

(Expect to be asked to do you Ice Breaker on a number of occasions)

IDSC and ADSC

1.5Mile Run
5kg upto 40/45kg power bag lift
25Min PT Lesson
Team Tasks
TST - Technical Trades Testing required for jobs in the Signals and other technical roles (more Maths)
Memory Testing
Practical Grenade Test (dummy Grenades)

IDSC is for 1 day and is a practice fitness day

ADSC is a 2 day fitness and mental testing, and I've just listed roughly what you should expect

Logistics will usually Train at Pirbright for Phase 1 not sure were they go Phase 2

Royal Signals will Train at Pirbright or Winchester for Phase 1 depending on Job, and Blandford for Phase 2

Hope this helps a little
kizzer182

Post by kizzer182 »

Nice one cheers very helpful, how long did it take for you to finally reach your phase 1 basic training from when you applied?
Millar

Post by Millar »

Nice one cheers very helpful, how long did it take for you to finally reach your phase 1 basic training from when you applied?
About a year and a half, but that was by my own choice, I had a job I needed to get time of for so dates were held back, I attempted the Basic Skills 3 times to ensure I got my best score, IDSC twice due to fitness, list goes on, if your as fit as possible, not got any commitments getting in your way and your prepared for Maths and English it could take less than 4 Months to receive your Phase 1 date, all depends on how quickly you want the application to go.

Best of luck with your application.
kizzer182

Post by kizzer182 »

Nice one done the barb test andv got offered some good trades, do you know if I would fail a drugs test if taking the supplement jack3d?
Millar

Post by Millar »

There is no drugs test until your first day at Phase 1 so wouldn't worry about that for a long time now, supplements aren't allowed during training though so best weening yourself of them gradually building upto your training date
Tab

Post by Tab »

Expect the worse and hope for the best