Share This Page:

Can anyone shed some light on the joining up process

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
sebastianPenny

Can anyone shed some light on the joining up process

Post by sebastianPenny »

Can anyone shed some light on the joining up process, because im really confused do you have to go to pre-selection(ADSC) then the ADSC, because i keep getting told different for example " you have to go to a pre selection which is a one day thing, then yo have to go on a two day selection, and the army mod website just said its the two day one, and also does the junior entry have to do the PRAC.

If someone cold some this up please.
Millar

Re: Can anyone shed some light on the joining up process

Post by Millar »

Not sure about Junior entry and different careers offices do things differently, but how it was for me was:

Phone call inviting me down for an informal Interview 1
Presentation
BARB Testing
Basic Skills Testing
Job Selection
Insight Course (week away with Army to see what life is like as a soldier)
IDSC (Initial 1 day selection testing to see if your ready for ADSC and to give you an idea what to expect)
Formal Interview 2
ADSC
Formal Interview 3
Phone call with Basic Training Start Date
Notice Paper Signing
Formal Oath to Queen
Basic Phase 1

Like I said it's slightly different for under 18s, and different Careers Offices will vary in there methods, for example some Careers offices won't put you through to ADSC unless you score a B or higher at IDSC, some Offices don't even do IDSC, on your first none formal Interview (first time you enter the careers office) you will be given a booklet explaining the entire process stage by stage, and it's know longer a quick and easy process, standards are raising and they have loads of people to choose from (plenty of people out of work and government cutting the Army down) so make sure your as fit as you can be, and confident :)

Hope this helps.
sebastianPenny

Post by sebastianPenny »

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thank you for making things easier.
Millar

Post by Millar »

sebastianPenny wrote:Hope this helps.
Thank you for making things easier.
Your welcome if there's anything else you need to know or more questions you want answered make a reply on this Post and I'll do my best to answer for you
sebastianPenny

Post by sebastianPenny »

Your welcome if there's anything else you need to know or more questions you want answered make a reply on this Post and I'll do my best to answer for youA/quote]

Another question if you dont mind, at the ADSC do some of the instructors run with you on the 1.5mile run to ensure that you pass.
Eddiek1989

Post by Eddiek1989 »

sebastianPenny wrote:Your welcome if there's anything else you need to know or more questions you want answered make a reply on this Post and I'll do my best to answer for youA/quote]

Another question if you dont mind, at the ADSC do some of the instructors run with you on the 1.5mile run to ensure that you pass.
Some do run with you, but not as a pace runner. Some might run at the front, some in the middle, and always 1 at the back to make sure the stragglers get back, but they dont push you to go faster, or tell you how fast your going. Sometimes they will run from the front to the back of the pack, you cant rely on them to make sure you pass. Just got to give it your all and make sure your prepared before you go
sebastianPenny

Post by sebastianPenny »

Some do run with you, but not as a pace runner. Some might run at the front, some in the middle, and always 1 at the back to make sure the stragglers get back, but they dont push you to go faster, or tell you how fast your going. Sometimes they will run from the front to the back of the pack, you cant rely on them to make sure you pass. Just got to give it your all and make sure your prepared before you go[/quote]

ok thank you for your answer and advice.
Millar

Post by Millar »

The Running seems like a big deal during the application process, but it's easily achievable, the tests at ADSC are very Basic standards of fitness don't worry about them to much, just ensure you run atleast 3 times week, starting with short distances and progressively building up faster and longer.

Another pointer if you can't already Swim or your not a strong swimmer, start learning when you have some spare time :)