Share This Page:

Forum dead?

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Amphibian

Forum dead?

Post by Amphibian »

Can't believe how little has been posted on the forums in the last couple of months....can't say im not gutted because this site, even a year ago was so much better than it is now.

Anyone got any ideas of how to get the traffic up?
"Chin up, crack on"
timex

Re: Forum dead?

Post by timex »

The first option would be to e-mail those members who we have details of and try to get them back.
ofens

Post by ofens »

I first came to this site to learn how to get fit and ready for basic military training. I found it using Google in 2007.

I was thinking about this today. How do young people find out about the joining process?
There's the careers office, but with the internet these days I know people are expected to turn up with some knowledge about what they want to do and what to expect, so surely most potential recruits will have the sense to do some at least basic internet searching before they go to the AFCO.

How is it that so few potential recruits are coming on here and asking questions?
Even the basic ones like "how can I train to do more pressups?" don't seem to pop up any more.

Are there other forums that fill the need people are looking for?
Is Facebook now full of groups that do the same job we used to here?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that one about other forums and facebook.

The Royal Marines have their own forums, same with the Army. And facebook is swamped with pages of information about the military.

After sifting through page after page, It seems apparent that this forum was not only for finding out information regarding the application process etc, but somewhere you could come and have a bloody good laugh.
Im going to do my best to get more people on here through word of mouth, thats about alls I can do for now.
"Chin up, crack on"
ofens

Post by ofens »

Yeah same, I still recommend it to people.

The thing about those Facebook groups and similar is that they tend to get very clique-y, with the same people just mulling over the same info and reassuring themselves in a very insular way, rather than a site like this where you mix with all manner of people joining / in / have left all the services exchanging opinions and info.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

This place was still reasonably active when I joined, but I think around then the OAMAAM Bootie website http://civviestreet.proboards.com/index.cgi? was becoming the more favoured haunt for catching up with old RM mates. Similarly for the ex-Army bods, the ARRSE website http://www.arrse.co.uk/ was where people on here drifted off to.

Threads on here all too often degenerated into slagging fests with some members taking offence over the way the 'banter' was being dished out.... Harry Hackedoff was a hoot but I think Flighty in partic' liked to cross swords with him over anything trivial and that's when this place started to shrivel and die a bit. Wonder what Harry's doing these days....

Sadly, given the limited number of new threads over the recent year or so I'm not sure that some of the info given is entirely relevant or current, if I told a new joiner to hit the 'Search' button and look something up on here.. It'd take major surgery and constant watch with a defibrillator to get this site up and as active as it previously was... Sad
shuban

Post by shuban »

I joined this forum last month. Not having enough time to do postings. But forum looks very much helpful in learning new things about military.
Incursus

Post by Incursus »

Been a long time forum reader and recently decided to sign up.. However, my major complaint is that there forum should scale better to the amount of activity. Right now there are tons of subforums with little to no activity. I suggest merging as many as possible to clean up a bit and make it less terrifying for new members to look around.
Marina

Post by Marina »

Hi everyone,

I used to come here alot in the first few years and there were a lot of interesting personalities with a great repertoire of military knowledge, and wonderful witty banter, and as a civilian I learnt alot, not only about the military but about life in general and the advice given was absolutely superb. Also, it made me see the military in a different light. However, sadly, some of them have left or don't post much.

@Sportbilly,
I miss Harry too and Sticky, Archie was too funny and there was Bootneck and El Prez, they were charismatic and very sharp witted. I was quite scared of the latter two at first, but they were a lovely RM chaps. It took me a good year understanding the military lingo. They were great at helping me out.

Hope they do come back one day. Maybe the new generation who have come recently may shake it up and liven it up abit