Share This Page:

Help pls on a Gunner, Royal Horse Artillery, 1820s/1830s

Require help and assistance, please ask?
Carpet Bagger

Help pls on a Gunner, Royal Horse Artillery, 1820s/1830s

Post by Carpet Bagger »

Hi,

I'm doing a family tree and I have recently discovered that my 3 x gr grand father was a gunner in the Royal Horse Artillery.

James THOMAS was married in Pontefract in 1821, to an Ann NELL. In 1824 his son was baptised in Pontefract. Next son was born in Athlone, Ireland in 1826. Then Woolwich, in 1828/9. Final son was born in Leeds in 1832/3.

The troop commander was probably a Major Thomas DYNELEY. (DYNELEY was known to have been at the Peterloo massacre in Manchester in 1819.) I don't know if my James was there though. I believe DYNELEY left in 1835, and I don't know his replacement. A newspaper report in August 1929 has "...a detachment of the Royal Horse Artillery, from Woolwich, arrived at our barracks (in Leeds)..." Another newspaper said in 1831 "... they contributed £13 to a subscription for Irish famine families."

I know nothing more about James THOMAS except that he died before the 1851 census.

I am looking for information on his place and date of birth & place and date of death. (I have tried Ancestry and FindMyPast websites but can't see anything obvious.)

Failing that can any one give me definitive regimental, or company details that follow his movements.

Kind regards

Carpet Bagger
Tab

Re: Help pls on a Gunner, Royal Horse Artillery, 1820s/1830s

Post by Tab »

Any thing on the Death Certificates on the Family history Web sites
Carpet Bagger

Post by Carpet Bagger »

Hi Tab,

Yes I have queried on the family history websites. The lack of a death certificate is part of the problem. Unless James THOMAS was away from barracks then he died locally in Wellington Shropshire. There are quite a few THOMASs on the border with Wales!

As I was trying to learn more about his professional career as well, it seemed sensible to ask around before I randomly bought death certificates.

Do you know if there is an active website for the RHA, please?

Thanks

Carpet Bagger
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Try this.

http://military-genealogy.forcesreunite ... _Artillery
My Father was RHA 1936-1946.He passed over the Bar in 2003.I was then living in the US so could not attend at his send off.

Hope this helps.
Carpet Bagger

Post by Carpet Bagger »

Thanks

Will Do.
Tab

Post by Tab »

The RA Museum is Called Firepower
Carpet Bagger

Post by Carpet Bagger »

Hi,

Thanks for the name.

I've had a best guess and am awaiting a death certificate. I think, as James is a direct ancestor I can justify going to Firepower.

Cheers

Carpet Bagger