Share This Page:

Medical Condition - Could I still join?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
OhNo

Medical Condition - Could I still join?

Post by OhNo »

Hello,

I've got this exaggerated reaction to really strenious exercise which tricks my brain into thinking my blood pressure is too high, which in turn signals for the blood pressure to plummet, and then I have to rest for 10-15 minutes.

My doctor says that it's just something I'll learn to live with, as there's no cure. I'm not that fit at the moment, and I was wondering if I'd still be allowed to try and join the army if I was fit enough, regardless of my condition.

Thanks.
Tab

Re: Medical Condition - Could I still join?

Post by Tab »

Now what do you think the answer will be.....Also what branch of the Army do you want to join......If it is the infantry do you think that you could run around all day with a huge pack on your back, double around assault courses. Run a 100 yards with another man on your back carrying all your kit and his as well, if you think you can do this then ask them to give you a try if not look for another job.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

No, there's absolutely no chance I could do it, medical condition or not.

What I want to know is that if I get my fitness up to a level that I can do all that stuff, will they give me a shot? Or will they reject me because of my condition (which has no cure and I may just grow out of)?
alan.p.

Post by alan.p. »

OhNo wrote:No, there's absolutely no chance I could do it, medical condition or not.

What I want to know is that if I get my fitness up to a level that I can do all that stuff, will they give me a shot? Or will they reject me because of my condition (which has no cure and I may just grow out of)?
Obviously you are brave enough to give it a go, but If is a big word. I suggest you forget about the services, because you will be rejected.
The main thing is your health, get yourself in reasonable fitness and get on with your life

Good luck

alan.p.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

I've decided I can't give up without trying. The least I can do is start training, see how I feel and then go see the careers.

Perhaps putting 'Hearts on Fire' from Rocky on my Ipod will help?

Thanks for your replies.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Do you think that with all the fit young men queueing up to join the Army, that any unit would take a risk on a young man that could flake out on them when they most need him, and put a number of lives at risk.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

What do you mean by flake out?
Tab

Post by Tab »

To flake out means no longer able to complete his duties
ofens

Post by ofens »

Sounds like a bite...
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Im with ofens on this one.. This cant be a serious question? I was going to post a reply but thought I would see how it played out. As Tab said theres thousands of young 'fit' men wanting to join our armed forces, the recruiters are able to pick and choose the best.

What is this condition called that you have anyway? No offence intended if you're being serious mate but you've got to look at the bigger picture. The careers office should be able to tell you if you're eligable so pay them a visit and see what the story is.
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

daz89 wrote:Im with ofens on this one.. This cant be a serious question? I was going to post a reply but thought I would see how it played out. As Tab said theres thousands of young 'fit' men wanting to join our armed forces, the recruiters are able to pick and choose the best.

What is this condition called that you have anyway? No offence intended if you're being serious mate but you've got to look at the bigger picture. The careers office should be able to tell you if you're eligable so pay them a visit and see what the story is.
My doctor didn't give me a medical term, instead he described what can happen if my heart rate gets too high. You see, it's not that I can't exercise and get fit. If my heart rate gets too high, and I mean really pushing myself, I get light headed when I stop exercising. My heart and brain are perfectly healthy, they just confuse the signals sometimes.

I was really just hoping that someone else would have the same problem. I'm quite embarrassed about even asking, which is why I've not went down to the Army Careers. If I knew the medical term it would help obviously, but I didn't think to ask when he was giving me the news because I was quite upset, as I knew it would almost certainly scupper my chances of signing up.

I know I'm clutching at straws, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

OhNo wrote: My doctor didn't give me a medical term,
Then ASK for one :roll:

Jeez.
What do you want?
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Wholley wrote:
OhNo wrote: My doctor didn't give me a medical term,
Then ASK for one :roll:

Jeez.
What do you want?
If people like you, who are seemingly unable to read properly, can get into the military, then it gives hope to someone like me who's condition has no long term effects.

Example of my condition:

Say I'm doing an assault course. In theory, I'd be able to do it as quickly as anyone else, but when I'm stop my body will start trying to cool down, it will confuse signals, lower my blood pressure and make me feel light headed. Within a few minutes I'll be back to normal and able to do the course again, if need be.

I'd like to add that it's odd how the staff on this forum are rude, and the members generally are not. You are quite clearly a prick, Tab just seems to be tactless.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Oh My.
Is that the time?
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

Turns out I'm just dehydrated. Who'd have thought it?