Share This Page:

17 looking for some bulking

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
deathheart16

17 looking for some bulking

Post by deathheart16 »

I'm signing up for the marines soon, some time after my 18th in 3 month. I was thinking of drinking Pro Elite Lean Mass Gainer, once in the morning doing push ups and sits ups all the day and drinking another shake at night , then the next two days continue the workout without the shake then repeat and do the same with running, good idea? i'm 5.5/6 and want abit of muscle to tone and shape for endurance, not just size...i don't want my nuts to shrink :shocked!:

thanks guys.
crisss16

Re: 17 looking for some bulking

Post by crisss16 »

Your not going to get big by just drinking these shakes. If i were you i would have a healthy diet mixed with proteinand a lot of carbs to bulk up mixed in with some weight training, and a protein shake after training which helps repair and build the muscles. You dont want to over do it as you will still need to work hard on your cardio and also body weight excercises ( push ups, sit ups etc )
If you are going to take protein shakes etc, dont rely on them 100%, you will still need to get your daily protein from soild food, meat etc. Also taking protein shakes and mass gainers will not make your nuts shrink.

I would create a routine where one day you will concentrate on weight training and other days for body weight excercises as it would not beed good for your muscle if you were to do weight training everyday and your muscles need time to repair and build themselves.

Hope this has helped a bit
ofens

Post by ofens »

You don't need bulk for RM training, the muscles you need are built during teh training.
Turn up on day 1 a good runner, good overall fitness,
and as stated in the PRMC requirements: 60 pressups / 80 situps / 6 pull ups / level 11 bleep test...or better.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
crisss16

Post by crisss16 »

ofens wrote:You don't need bulk for RM training, the muscles you need are built during teh training.
Turn up on day 1 a good runner, good overall fitness,
and as stated in the PRMC requirements: 60 pressups / 80 situps / 6 pull ups / level 11 bleep test...or better.
Are you aware that the Royal Marines have recently updated the medical requirments for joining? Well from now on, you have to be atleast 65kg to pass medicals and get through to rt, whereas before it was 60kg. So i guess there be a good few people needing to bulk up that are skinny but still really fit.

I can also assure all of you, if you are under weight and get advice to just keep on with the running you will build up weight etc, this is crap. Take it from some one that knows about fitness, yes continue to run till you spew, but to gain the weight required to pass medical and get through to rt, you will have to change your diet and change your fitness routine. YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT JUST DOING CARDIO !!!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sorry.
Am I missing something?
ADSC.Five posts
Army Joining and Training.Five posts.
Total.

Ten posts.
You must have gone through PRMC in an earlier life.
Don't go giving advise on something you know nothing about.

No offense.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Are you aware blah blah blah
Yes I am aware, and your post (whether or not it is accurate) does not actually contradict my accurate information, so why are you quoting me as if to say I'm wrong?
YOU WILL NOT PUT ON WEIGHT JUST DOING CARDIO
Yes that's quite true, and useful to know because unless you are underweight you do not need to bulk up to join RM.
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
daz89

Post by daz89 »

I've got some personal experience here.. When I first applied many moons ago I only weighed 58 kgs.. My careers advisor (a matelot) told me to use creatine to put on weight. Now the special phrase there is 'put on weight'.

To me, bulking up and putting on weight are two different things.

You really don’t have to 'bulk up' for the tests and especially not training, you're going to want to be like a racing snake for training with the amount of running you're going to be doing. Plus, you're going to lose all the weight anyway.

And for putting weight on I done the same amount of training, added a in few weight sessions and ate 6 meals a day instead of using any supplements.

Hope that helps lads :wink:
803troop

Post by 803troop »

A simple answer is to this is just drink plenty of skim milk through the day. plenty of protein dense calories there. Easy to add weight. As you won't be able to have your shakes in RT, milk is a better.

~
Tab

Post by Tab »

You are still young and you will fill out in time. Another thought is the more weight you put on is the more weight you have carry on your runs.
Nero

Post by Nero »

Best advice is to not fanny about with isolation exercises, such as bicep curls, yeah you might look at someone and think u wish you had massive arms but that doesn't correlate strength.

I'd recommend a program called stronglifts 5x5, it's all compound exercises (exercises that work more than one muscle), such as squats (you'll be grateful for doing these, strong legs are epic son), bench press, deadlift etc, check it out.

Don't read crap in bodybuilding magazines either, these are ran by supplement companies to make u buy the program/product...and also 'bodybuilding' is about making your body look good, not making your body strong, that's weight lifting...just don't choose looking good over strength, strength trainin will make u look so much better eventually anyway.
Nero

Post by Nero »

803troop wrote:A simple answer is to this is just drink plenty of skim milk through the day. plenty of protein dense calories there. Easy to add weight. As you won't be able to have your shakes in RT, milk is a better.
full fat is better, so much nicer to drink too :drinking:
mike.dt

Post by mike.dt »

Nero wrote:
803troop wrote:A simple answer is to this is just drink plenty of skim milk through the day. plenty of protein dense calories there. Easy to add weight. As you won't be able to have your shakes in RT, milk is a better.
full fat is better, so much nicer to drink too :drinking:
Apparantly the skimming process takes out many of the beneficial vitamins in the milk. Full fat milk has around 4% fat content, whereas full skimmed has 0.1%. An incredible difference in fat of 3.9%... wow! Like Nero i'm a fan of full fat 8)

(I said apparantly because my information came from here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... wrong.html )

I don't think there's any need to drink expensive shakes or neck tablets when all you need to bulk up can be dished up in a good old fashioned square meal!

Eat loads, work hard and drink blue top! :D
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
ofens

Post by ofens »

Hmm looking up this 5x5 programme...sounds interesting...
Yes isolation exercises are a waste of time in this situation
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]