Share This Page:

Improve my fitness fast

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
tomEFCevans

Improve my fitness fast

Post by tomEFCevans »

Ive always wanted to join the para's but i always thought id be turned down because i have a few criminal records but my friend told me i would be ok and i visited the afco and it turns out im eligible to apply... so anyway, i have a very basic level of fitness, does anybody have any advice on how i can get my fitness up fast so i can concentrate on endurance running and getting my run time down.. at the moment im just going on 20 minute runs around fields/ road and im also going the gym and using the bikes, treadmill and x trainer aswell as the rowing machine.. is this enough? and should i just be patient? by the way im training every other day, is that enough?

Thanks in advance
WOW! That hurt.

Re: Improve my fitness fast

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

My sister is a proffesional runner and when I told her of what the tests are, she gave me this.

Monday - Nine 400m sprints in 1:30 each (faster if you can handle it) and rest for a minute in between each split and about halfway through you can rest for 5 minutes.

Tuesday - good paced 30 minute jog
Strength Training: 3 sets of press ups, 3 sets of sit ups

Wednesday - 3 "Ladders" 200m; 400m; 500m; 400m; 200m
take 1 minute of rest in between each split, but take FIVE minutes of rest in between each set.

Thursday - good paced 30 minute jog

Friday - Run one thing you need to work on is the 1.5 mile. Run it as fast as you can just once, then stretch and head in.

Saturday - LSD.... run between 8 - 12 miles slowly and leisurely. You need to get your body used to being active for so long. Make sure you have water.

Sunday - OFF

The purpose of these excercises is to do it as fast as possible. You should be pushing yourself past your comfort level from the onset and throughout. After you do initial tests I would focus more on long distance runs, but right now that's what I do.
harbinger

Post by harbinger »

I'd suggetst the Tabata Protocol. It aerobic and anaerobic endurance, Us can do it on a bicycle, running or even with burpees.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-inten ... l_training
ofens

Post by ofens »

Yeah I definitely recommend tabata :-)
Using a "spinning" bike at the gym, I used to do it once a week.
If you do it properly you can really get great results from it (when you finish you should literally be unable to walk properly from exhaustion).

It needs to be part of a balanced exercise programme though, if you want to improve your fitness.
I would also add that it's hard to get any serious benefit from it until you're already quite fit, but there's nothing wrong with giving it a try. Be careful though as it is a very high intensity activity.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I think WOW that hurts sister was spot on with that routine! Its almost exactly what I done as a recruit. I got in hill sprints and firemans carries for good measure too. Anything that makes you feel like your lungs are going to burst is good! Keep chopping and changing your routine, but push yourself hard. Every now and then go back to an exercise that you have timed yourself on (i.e the 1.5miler) and test yourself on it aiming to beat your previous time. Dont neglect distance work you do need that endurance and her idea of 8-12 miles leisurely pace was a good one. I personally aimed for a 10 to 15miler every sunday depending how I felt but everyone is different.
'Every man an Emperor'