Share This Page:

2 Squadron selection tests.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
lardo

2 Squadron selection tests.

Post by lardo »

Hi,

I am looking at joining the Marines or RAF Regiment in the new year. I'm erring towards RAF due to a family connection and in particular 2 squadron. Reading this and various other sites it appears that, I hope I have it right, that I'll have to register my interest during basic training and if I display the necessary qualities would be put forward for the pre para selection course. If I have this wrong then please correct me. The problem I have is that no matter how hard people say it is I cannot find any real info on it anywhere. All I have heard is that it is similar to the army P company. What I would really like to know is what are the actual criteria regarding tests, timings required and how is the course set out ie, pass, fail, location, points, etc. I've read the p company website and the RM site as well and they list their selection processes online but the RAF don't seem to do this.

Any advice as well as tips is greatly appreciated.
lardo

Re: 2 Squadron selection tests.

Post by lardo »

Anyone??

I've got my AFCO interview soon and any info would at least be nice.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Get yourself selected by the RAF first.Then after two years you can think about further quals.or a change of MO.
lardo

Post by lardo »

Thanks for the reply but I'm actually looking for specific information on the II SQN selection tests (apologies for sounding a bit cheeky). I just would like as much info as possible as I want to know potentially what I am letting myself in for. I've searched all over the net but all I can find is that it is based on p company but it's not quite the same.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

When I was in the RAF Reg it was basically the same course content as the Para's 'P-Coy' as I enquired with the PTI who ran the RAF's pre para. His response was (knowing Id done it with 4Para) 'You gotta do it all again har har har'. I have also been told by a mate that it still is the same.
Prior to undertaking actual parachute training there is a selection course for those wishing to join 2 Sqn which was originally intended to be a preparation and selection course prior to attending P Company.
Link showing some of the pre-para or 'beat up' prior to P-Coy......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKRtNyg4Yp0
'Every man an Emperor'
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

'Every man an Emperor'
lardo

Post by lardo »

Thanks for the replies.

I got a PM from a II SQN PTI who has been on the selection teams a few times. He gave me the rundown on the PPS but asked that I don't post it anywhere as it is supposed to be confidential, though apparently it is available on a couple of websites ("if you know where to look"). Basically the course itself is based on army P-Company but is not as tough (his words) as originally it was a preparation course to prepare soldiers for the army course. There is no pass mark for each event ("there is but depends on a number of factors"), but is determined by the group and or individual, so if you're in a strong group the pass mark is higher and a weaker group, lower. I did question this and it was reconfirmed by the PTI. The distances marched are generally not given to the candidates and it is not uncommon for a march to be cut short with the only exceptions being the 10 mile and "fan dance" marches.

After being told all this I said I was going to the Marines but the PTI told me that if I passed II SQN selection I would get to serve with the SFSG who support the SAS and SBS. He went on to say that the SAS and SBS had been most impressed by the "Regiment Lads" more than the Marines and Paras. I don't know what to do now though.
fleming16

Post by fleming16 »

You need to complete the tranie gunner course first which is 24weeks, before you can look at 2 squadron. i graduated on friday and put 2 squadron as my first option but there fully manned at the moment so i never got it so have to wait 3 years. Just grading into the RAF regiement is a challenge by itself!!
pushtiman

Post by pushtiman »

10 characters
Last edited by pushtiman on Thu 17 Nov, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nero

Post by Nero »

I'm sure there is no benchmark criteria on the RAF para course, like P Company, if no one is good enough, no one will pass, if everyone is good enough then everyone will pass.
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

Mate, Don't join Paras, paras is shit I've been with them 7 years now so I'm going to get a transfer to the Marines hopefully. Go for 2 sqn or 58 sqn, 58 sqn works as FP on MERT teams and is a highly respected and decorated sqn. Just thought you might like to know.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

What an odd post.
Nero has passed selection,served and is now probably retired.Seven years a Para?
Over to you Tab.
Mr Maroon

Post by Mr Maroon »

Don't think you're going SFSG straight away on 2 sqn first you have to do pre pre-para which is like the selection before doing pre-para. After that you have to serve 2+ years on 2 sqn before moving off to SFSG. Or you can just join SRR or SAS after 3 years. SAS isn't my cup of tea though.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Still answering year old posts I see.
Still want a"Transfer"to the Royal Marines?
Love to hear how your going to do that. 8)