Share This Page:

Yo Ho Ho!

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
JR

Yo Ho Ho!

Post by JR »

:wink: Way back in the past, we had a small force of warships in the West Indies,and amongst the British Virgin Islands was a small remote island called Dead Man's Chest most RN ships finding themselves in the vicinity of Dead Man's Chest,would solemnly send a ashore a party of fifteen men to land on the island.They took with them the traditional bottle of rum.Aye fifteen men on Dead Man's Chest Yo ho ho.and thats a true 'dit'.Aye Aye :drinking: :drinking:
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
Wholley

Re: Yo Ho Ho!

Post by Wholley »

During my time in the West Indies most of the British Warships headed for English Harbor Antigua.HMS Pheobe did some work restoring the capstans in Nelsons dockyard.
Why it ever got called that is beyond me.Nelson hated the place and got real sick.So sick he ordered some pickling rum to keep his body in good condition to be buried back in Blighty
He was also at constant odds with the Governor of the Antigua post.
One General Shirley who has the heights commanding the entrance to English Harbor named after him.
Locally known as Shirlie's Tights :P
Every evening at the Copper and Lumber Store a few of us would toast the Queen with Pussers.
"Sweethearts and Wives.May they never meet"was a favorite of mine....until they did :(