Share This Page:

SSRE 2011

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
Apollo

SSRE 2011

Post by Apollo »

Hi there
I've been looking into the 'military gap year' with 4 Para, but I've not found anything up to date; I've pretty much no idea how to apply for the 2011 SSRE, or if there is even one being run. Anyone round these parts know anything about it?
Also, I've got around 8 months to get fit; tbh I'm pretty pathetic, my 1.5 mile time is around 10 and a half minutes, pressups around 40/2minutes and situps about 50/2minutes; is 8 months enough to get fit enough to get on the gap year?
As a vague plan i was thinking 3/4 40 minute runs a week, with some body weight exercises every day (dunno what's a good amount though). Any pointers would be great, even if it's just to call me retarded/laugh :)
gunner75

Re: SSRE 2011

Post by gunner75 »

More than enough time. Ill assume your late teens/early twenties? 1030 aint bad if your just starting out. it can only get better. When you join it will get better still. Your best bet for info is get on the blower to HQ (leeds) or email them. Or 4 para facebook page (if they let you join).

Training wise what your doing sounds ok. Just keep pushing hard. You want to be doing some sessions that take you out of your comfort zone i.e interval sprints, firemans carrys, hill reps, hill sprints - anything that gets the lungs REALLY working and makes you feel like your gonna hurl. try and work the distance of your runs up to say 15mile. obviously not every night but build up to it. Forget weight training just do pressups (lots) pullups and sit ups/crunches. Weight training is irrelevant at this stage. If you cant lift a fully loaded bergen at this stage you shouldnt be there.
'Every man an Emperor'
Tab

Re: SSRE 2011

Post by Tab »

A mile and half in ten and half minutes, jeepers i'm in my 70's and and I can still walk that fast