Share This Page:

Research invitation: Trauma and Pain

Recommended Books you have read or great films you have watched.
selina

Research invitation: Trauma and Pain

Post by selina »

As part of my doctroate in clinical psychology I am conducting research on PTSD and Pain. If you think you would like to take part this link will provide more information and take you to the survey. http://www.ssb.plymouth.ac.uk/surveysw/SH/
The research has been approved by the Clinical Psychology Ethics Committee to protect safety, rights, wellbeing and dignity. Anyone over the age of 18 can take part. You will also have the option of being entered into a prize draw. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WITHDRAW AT ANY POINT. ALL RESPONSES ARE ANONYMOUS. Thank you for your time! Selina
ofens

Re: Research invitation: Trauma and Pain

Post by ofens »

Dear Selina,

I'm all for this study and anything that will raise awareness and understanding of PTSD, its causes, effects, and the improvements of treatments for it.

However I really should point out that persons suffering from PTSD are extremely unlikely to come forward to strangers and be forthcoming with answers to questions and interviews.
It's hard enough for the people treating them to get straight and useful answers out of them under ideal conditions!

Therefore I'd be very concerned that your data could be tainted by the fact that persons coming forward are likely to include people that are not actually suffering from PTSD but something else.
It is becoming more common for GPs to examine people suffering from stress, depression and other conditions, and diagnose them with PTSD instead; to them it's just another label that passes the buck and gets the person out of their office sooner rather than later.
(Not all GPs! I've met some very good ones too.)

I sincerely wish you every success with your work in this field and you are welcome to PM me to discuss whether or not I may be able to help you in some way. I'd be most interested in doing so.

There are a number of other users of this forum that may also be able to help you, and I imagine that they will see this in due course and respond accordingly.

Kind regards,
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]