Share This Page:

Tips for training

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
charnock1990

Tips for training

Post by charnock1990 »

any tips to make things easier for the starty of 28 week training?
ofens

Re: Tips for training

Post by ofens »

Yep, use your initiative and the search button!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
charnock1990

Post by charnock1990 »

oh well thanks for that superman
Tab

Post by Tab »

All you can do is to get stuck into it, and it does get easier with time
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Dont be (im alright) jack - if you see something needing doing or someone needing help get stuck in and help out.Best to be a do'er rather than a dont'er. Dont take the piss with this though, if mong boy is keeping you up to silly o clock in the morning sorting his kit repeatedly (basically being his bitch) tell him to f*ck off - you need your beauty sleep as its important. lack of sleep will not only make you tired physically but will have a negative effect on your morale - homesickness may then kick in and you may want to leave and get back to whoever makes your tea and washes your grots!
basically do as your told, when your told, to the best of your ability - not half hearted or lazy. Always smile and try to be calm and chilled out. Keep a mature mindset. Dont let the bollockings get to you as you WILL get them sooner or later, just take them on the chin as other people will be getting them too, some more than most (mong boy).
Another thing is try not to be too 'clicky' you will be put in a section and those people will come first but dont let that come at the expense of getting to know others. For example When I done it I bought in some sparring gloves and head guards and my section and others used to spare (if thats what you want to call it) good ice breaker and something to laugh about later!
Finally it pays to be a winner. everything you do fitness wise is being assessed and reported back to your training staff so no slacking in pt or you will more than likely get the extra fitness needed in the form of corrective training lol.
'Every man an Emperor'
ofens

Post by ofens »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be unhelpful. Sometimes people ask for "general non-specific help" on here and I may have wrongly thought this was that.

I agree with gunner75's advice fully! It will make more sense when you get there.

Also I would say learn to deal with being wrong.
You will be wrong a lot, and it will be pointed out to you with brick-like subtlety, in great abundance and at high frequency!
Take it on the chin, and learn to take more and more on the chin.
Because sometimes you will be right - but you will still be wrong.

What matters is how you react and how you deal with it.

Best of luck with your training, enjoy the bits that aren't too unpleasant, and hell - enjoy the other 99% anyway!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
charnock1990

Post by charnock1990 »

cheers for that, i start 5th sept and want to make sure i can do as well as i can.