Share This Page:

Want to join the RAF as a mechanical aircraft tech...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
jonshepherd

Want to join the RAF as a mechanical aircraft tech...

Post by jonshepherd »

What are my chances? I'm 25, just become a fully qualified car mechanic and I'm stuck in this dead end job.

Is there fierce competition for this job?

I've heard stories of people getting put in a refueling position ETC and remain there for years on end being bored to death, I want a challenging job playing with gas turbine engines, control surfaces and flight software ETC

Would really like to speak to somebody who does this. Cheers, I appreciate you hear this question everyday and I am already reading many posts on here...
Bellairs

Post by Bellairs »

I passed my apptitude test in July 09, I rang the AFCO yesturday to sort out going forward with an interview and was told that the trade won't be reopening until July 10. So yes the competition is pretty fierce. Sucks but hey what can you do.
coopesh56

Re: Want to join the RAF as a mechanical aircraft tech...

Post by coopesh56 »

alrite mate, im in my trade training as an amm at the minute, and ive not heard any stories about getting stuck refueling for 5years and being bored! they are probably just raf rumours, of which there are many.

as with regards to the competition for the job, when i joined there was practically no competition, as long as you passed the tests to get in the interview was pretty much just a chat.
However, they seem to have over recruited us majorly, so it may now be hard to get in.
AST: passed
Interview: passed
Medical: passed
PRFT: passed
PRTC: passed
Final interview: passed
Intake to Halton: 19/08/09
Chosen trade: AMM Avionics.