Share This Page:

Looking to join up in the TA soon

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Soggyllama

Looking to join up in the TA soon

Post by Soggyllama »

Hi there, I'm looking to join our local TA soon and quite looking forward to it. Firstly, after reading on this very forum (for a few months now) I've noticed that they do a BMI check. Well, as my diet for the last few years has basically involved injecting Kebabs, pies and burgers, as you can imagine, I will need to drop my BMI. I've started running, push ups and sit ups but just wondered if there is any 'Fitness food' that people know of which will help shed the lard and give me more energy to push myself further? (besides the usual things like Salad, Dust etc etc)

Many Thanks
International Vegetarianism is Spreading

[color=red][b]DO YOUR DUTY!![/b][/color]

Carry a Ham.
arctic lizzard

Post by arctic lizzard »

Unfortunately fitness and eating less are the only solution.

I would advise eating smaller meals more often. I eat 5 meals a day - 7am, 10am, 1pm, 3pm and 6pm. I tend to eat small amounts of good stuff rather than going 5 or 6 hours between meals and stuffing myself. Avoid stodgey food at all costs. Pizzas etc are bad. Lean meat and wholemeal pasta are awesome.

This twinned with some cardio will see you at the right BMI in no time.

I am training to have a pop at 4 Para in the second half of 2010. I have noticed a massive difference eating the right food makes to my fitness.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Arctic Lizard. Out
5% skill, 95% looking good
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

ah yes, the 'Grazing' technique. Cant beleive I didnt think of that. Cheers bud. Sorry to be so personal, but what sort of things are you eating a day? Do you have like a 'reward' day or such?

Good luck with your app by the way :)

Carry a Ham.
arctic lizzard

Post by arctic lizzard »

I do treat myself to some "junk" at the weekend, but I am doing that much phys at the moment that i don't think it matters. When I was a regular, I used to eat and drink what I wanted, when I wanted. I just used to run up hills every day.

I think it is a case of seeing food as fuel for your training rather than something that tastes good.

Today I have had:

fruit and fibre
beans on toast
grilled chicken salad
fruit salad (massive one)
then pasta with veg for tea.

Some tasty stuff there.

The hard thing for me is cutting down on the golden throat charmers (pints of stella). Everything in moderation now, though.

Cheers pal
5% skill, 95% looking good
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

oh right cool. that looks edible. at least it wasnt something like Lentils with dry toast, plain rice and chicken breast, fat free cottage cheese and an orange :)

Looks like I WILL be able to do it afterall :)

Carry a Ham.
Soggyllama

Post by Soggyllama »

Alright guys, Thanks for your advice. I've been strict with what was suggested (both here AND Arrse) and have since managed to lose a WHOLE inch from around my waist. I know this doesnt seem like a lot, but considering my goals its a HUGE step for me.

Though my BMI is still over........grrrrrrrrrrr and still classified as 'obese' going of weight / height........which is stupid as i dont think that my size really lOOKS obese, overweight yeah, not obese though.

Carry a Ham.