Share This Page:

Want to join but have a few questions

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
haruk09

Want to join but have a few questions

Post by haruk09 »

Im 19 and Ive wanted to join the Army for quite some time but is the Army what Im looking for?

I want to be in the thick of the action, be it exchanging bullets with the Taliban or be on the look out for IEDs. In the Army do you see a lot of action? If so how many times?

If you are in Afghan what do you do on a daily basis? and when you are not in Afghan what do you do? Go to different countries or stay in the UK?

Im planning to go to my AFCO in a few months, how long until I start training?

Is their a possibility I join the Army and I dont get to see any action whatsoever? I have a friend who is in the Marines and he said he hasnt been shot at or he hasnt shot at the enemy once, he has been in their for 5-6 years, is the Army the same?

Thanks for your time :)
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Go away and grow up
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
waynepe

Post by waynepe »

What MSI means is go away and check out army peacekeeping projects around the globe. That will answer your question about what you do when your not on tour, Afghanistan is not the only thing the army does. If you do get sent on tour to Afghanistan exchanging bullets is not something you should be looking forward to.

If your planning to go to your AFCO in a few months I strongly suggest you go now and have a chat down with a recruiting officer and then pick up an info pack if you havent already gotten one delivered from online.

And yes there is a possibility you wont see action at all. The army is made up of many more job choices than infantry. You could be a clerk within the army and not see action.

And lastly its not is the army what your looking for, its are you what the army is looking for.
application form : done
BARB test : passed 82
Medical : Broke my wrist so 12 months wait before reapply.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Thanks for de ciphering my very cryptic reply :evil: :evil: :)
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Tab

Post by Tab »

If yo don't get shot at then you are bloody lucky
Mark5

May I say something

Post by Mark5 »

If you want to join, why would to spare time to it? To ask on this forum is to denote that you have the desire to join.

For example take me, I have a philosophical mind and essentially over look the basics. I want to join. But I will join not because I want to fire the lastest rifle, I want to become a better person. To some it's a predisposed passion.

My former classmate is a Rifleman in the 2nd Battlion the Rifles (Corporal). I asked him why he joined the army. And he said to get fit, adventure and challenge.

Don't do the same mistake I have. Go the AFCO next week. Go in casual gear and get talking. Your a young man, don't burden yourself with the metaphysics of your actions. I need time to think, whilst I go about my day to day duties.

I don't think that being in the army means you exchange your magazine in a firefight. Ask those who are in the army.

Mate, set yourself a deadline. I will be setting one on monday.
There's more to Soldiering then I ever though't.