Share This Page:

PARA Fitness Tips

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
scotjock1

PARA Fitness Tips

Post by scotjock1 »

Right well I am new to all this; basically I want to join the Parachute Regiment. I have just passed my BARB and am being held at my medical stage because I am a stone overweight. I was able to run 3 miles a few months back in less than 22 minutes, roughly about 21 and a half minutes.
Anyway I was fit a few months back, but since the backlog in the application for the Paras I have let myself go. I have begun to run 1.5 mile runs and can only really jog and guessing my time for it would probably be about 15 minutes or more.

Basically I am asking for any tips, on how to get my run times better under 9.18 mins and stuff. I would really appreciate it, and as for my press ups and sit ups i can do over 50 in two minutes.

B.A.R.B Test: Passed
Written Medical: Still to be done.
egghead

Post by egghead »

run run and run more its only way run up hills walk down them do that do fartlek training , long runs just do the lot on different days and it will come down sooner or later just keep at it
Leyton1990

Post by Leyton1990 »

Yeah mate just try to motivate yourself, If you not doing anything.....just jog.
scotjock1

Better

Post by scotjock1 »

OK since my last post its been slow over xmas, however back at a local army run club my run time for the 1.5 miles is now 11 minutes and 44 seconds abit better than my last however at one time I could do it in 11 mins and 40 seconds.
Press ups I can do still about 50 in two mins, but its getting better. Sit ups with someone holding my feet down is 30 in one min, so maybe 50 or 60 in two.

I go for regular runs, ranging from 1.5 miles to over 2 miles runs.
I do regular work outs, press ups and sits up plus crunches. After all of it my legs ache like hell, but I still push it. Jump in the tub and try to heal them up enough to do the run again. Anyway I am still commited to the Paras, and I am also being put on a Look-of-Life Para course, intro to the regiment.

Any tips to get my run time better, or if this course helps my overall fitness if it put 110% in on the course itself.
scotjock1

Better

Post by scotjock1 »

Oh and plus, I am still under 15 stone at about 93KG weighed. My recruiter says I need to lose 8KG before I can go on selection. So I have changed my diet, and work off anything I eat.
FuturePara

Post by FuturePara »

Just keep jogging there is no other tip than that its the best way to get fit and the only way to get fit if you want your run time down. What I am doing is adding a mile each week for my long runs so I'll be doing 4 miles next week, 5 miles the week after etc. you catch my drift. As for the 1.5 miles that bas**** can be a bugger...but do some shuttle runs on a football pitch that usually helps. Also do Fartlek training.

P.S remember to run/exercise 5 days out of 7 I know it sounds hard and it will be but just wait untl you get in the Paras lol
02leaveg

Re: PARA Fitness Tips

Post by 02leaveg »

sounds like you have a good reutine, try running 3 days on 1 day off. consisting of 2 longer runs (5-6miles) and 1 shorter run (2-3miles) then on every other shorter run start doing fartlek training (30 meter sprint followed by a 30 meter slow jog- NO REST) then on every other week add half a mile to the long + short runs, and on every othe fartlek training session add another 15 meters too the sprint and remove 5 from the slow jogs (30=45 meters sprint and 30=25meter slow jog)

good luck with that, im being trained by a ex infantry pti and iv now got my 1.5miler down to 8.50 from 11.30 so it sure does work, plus your start to notice that your less fatigued after runs!
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I trained similar to the above post when I went for it - it works. 1 long distance run (10 or so miles), I medium paced run (5-6 miles) and 1 short fast run (2-3 miles). Id also sprinkle in some lung busters to keep me on my toes i.e fartleks, sprint intervals or find a ruddy great big hill and do firemans carries with a pal up and down it. I chucked in every now and then (purely for enjoyment) a 20 - 30 mile walk/hike/camp in the hills in the lake district. Id test my 1.5miler time every 2 to 4 week depending on how keen I was feeling. Dont bother with the gym - press ups and pull ups more than enough at this stage. Eat correct and sleep well. cut back on the booze/fags. Good luck once you lose the extra timber your time will rocket!
'Every man an Emperor'
Tab

Post by Tab »

I keep reading all this about cutting out booze and fags, when we were young every one smoked and ran and often did the two together. When was in the Army many years ago we got free fags on active service and they were also in the ration packs. On top of that we used to get a good lashing of free rum. Mind you we did not get paid much there was always a smile around after the rum.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Well im a non smoker so I couldnt give a monkies either way. Im just seeing it from a point of view that if your short of breath with them you'll be better off/perform better without! Spot on about booze though, myself and my fellow recruits were always a out on the lash while T.A and when given chance in regulars. It creates a good bond and teamwork when appropriate. However, leave the piss ups to the weekend as swiggin grandpa's cough medicine during the week because 'you can' aint going to do you any favours. Besides when you pass recruit phase and get into battalion you start drinking with the big boys then its a whole new ball game! :drinking:
'Every man an Emperor'
Bees

Post by Bees »

gunner75 wrote:Well im a non smoker so I couldnt give a monkies either way. Im just seeing it from a point of view that if your short of breath with them you'll be better off/perform better without! Spot on about booze though, myself and my fellow recruits were always a out on the lash while T.A and when given chance in regulars. It creates a good bond and teamwork when appropriate. However, leave the piss ups to the weekend as swiggin grandpa's cough medicine during the week because 'you can' aint going to do you any favours. Besides when you pass recruit phase and get into battalion you start drinking with the big boys then its a whole new ball game! :drinking:
Were you drunk when you wrote this?
Bees

Post by Bees »

For best results be consistant, train at least every other day and make sure you keep putting the effort in for over an hour.

for press ups try 5 sets of 20 with 1 min rest between sets, reduce the rest time by 10 secs each week. this will also work for chins and sits.

Have a look on amazon.co.uk for a gym-boss, its an interval timer. You can use them to set up some very effective fartleks and circuits.

As you get fitter start training in the morning and evenning, also dont diet as such but do eat mostly unrefined foods, brown bread, brown rice and pasta, un processed meats and obviously your 5 a day. Try to eat 5-6 small meals through the day.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Bees wrote:
gunner75 wrote:Well im a non smoker so I couldnt give a monkies either way. Im just seeing it from a point of view that if your short of breath with them you'll be better off/perform better without! Spot on about booze though, myself and my fellow recruits were always a out on the lash while T.A and when given chance in regulars. It creates a good bond and teamwork when appropriate. However, leave the piss ups to the weekend as swiggin grandpa's cough medicine during the week because 'you can' aint going to do you any favours. Besides when you pass recruit phase and get into battalion you start drinking with the big boys then its a whole new ball game! :drinking:
Were you drunk when you wrote this?
Explain?
With respect, as a new member whats with the smart arsed replies to posts? Can I assume your one of the old and bold with a genuine interest who knows his stuff? Or perhaps your a young man just spouting from books, getting in your tuppence worth?

Basically I was saying stay off the booze and fags when training, it will do you no favours but it wont harm. Leave it all for when you get into Battalion.

Clear enough? But yes I probably was drunk - but then I got the t shirt so im allowed :wink:
'Every man an Emperor'
Bees

Post by Bees »

Chill out bud, it just didn't read very well.

what happened to the banter!?
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Fair doo's. Arguably the 'banter' was lost on me on this occasion - nae worries. :D

Yeah a good point where did it all go? it used to be rife on here but it appears all the 'characters' have vamoosed! Its now left with uptight old p*ss heads that learnt too writ englund at skool when they wur chilled run... :wink:
'Every man an Emperor'