Share This Page:

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Canalvoyageur

Post by Canalvoyageur »

Hi, Guys and Gals, I am a life member of The Parachute Regiment No 14476 I was in 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment 1958-1964.
I am now 70 years of age, but still active, I do a lot of open Canadian canoeing and love camping, I also love Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Horse Ridding, anything that gets me out into the country.
I have three Son's the Eldest was in the Kings Troop, second in the Tank Regiment, and my youngest son is still serving in The Royal Engineers, just got back from Afghanistan.
So between us we have a little Military service and experience, Although I only served a short while I have never forgot the valuable lessons that I was taught, and they have stood me in good stead through out my life.
That's about it from me, Permission to Fall out Sir ?.
Best Regards Bill
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Welcome to the forum. You, and your family, definatly have alot of experience!

I'm just about to join the Parachute Regiment (training Depot.) on Sunday, I bet you have a few tales to tell of training and operations / deployments in your day!
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
tom163

Post by tom163 »

Hi and welcome to the site Bill. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Tom
Canalvoyageur

Welcome Reply

Post by Canalvoyageur »

gpw2009 wrote:Welcome to the forum. You, and your family, definatly have alot of experience!

I'm just about to join the Parachute Regiment (training Depot.) on Sunday, I bet you have a few tales to tell of training and operations / deployments in your day!
Hi, Thank you for your kind welcome, and may I wish you all the very best with Joining The Parachute Regiment.
Utrinque Paratus
Regards Bill

Thank you Tom for your kind welcome.
Regards Bill
Tab

Post by Tab »

Your number is a bit odd for those years unless you have left the some of it, or is that number you PRA Number. If you joined the Para's in 1958 the start of your number would have been around 232.
Canalvoyageur

Post by Canalvoyageur »

Tab wrote:Your number is a bit odd for those years unless you have left the some of it, or is that number you PRA Number. If you joined the Para's in 1958 the start of your number would have been around 232.
Yeh, that is my PRA No, my Army No was 23685605.
Regards Bill
Tab

Post by Tab »

Greetings Bill....I left the mob in 1957.....
Canalvoyageur

Post by Canalvoyageur »

Tab wrote:Greetings Bill....I left the mob in 1957.....
oh, rite at last someone I can swing lampshades with, hang on I will just get the sand out of me turn ups.
Bet you thought I was one of those, that were in the next camp to the para's or well I took P Company but had to go sick so I never finished.
Remember Smokey Furnace ? you know I still miss it, I tried to get a jump in for my 60th but they would only let me do a Tandem and didn't want that, I wanted the old X type chute and go out of the Hastings or the Beverly, oh just to see the boots come up as you come out of the slipstream, look up and its a wonderful sight, pull pin on leg strap weapon container release clips on D rings and down she goes suspended from the waist belt of the harness swinging like a pendulum quick couple of jerks on the rope. Asses your drift position for side left. adopt good parachute position, knees slightly bent just so you can see the tips of your boots, elbows in chin tight into chest, off-set feet to right, then you stop and the ground comes and hits you. bye god I needed that.
Sorry getting carried away.
Best Regards Bill