Share This Page:

This can't be right.. can it?

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
johnnyt

This can't be right.. can it?

Post by johnnyt »

Was chatting to some bloke in the pub on Saturday. He ex-regs like me and he's now in the TA.

He reckons its £70 a day and that all overseas deployments (such as 'stan) are voluntary ??!?

I thought this sounded a lot like the muslims in Iraq.. i.e Shi'ite! so I probed a bit further and found out he's working in recruitment...

Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on whether this is true or not?

Cheers

:D
I'm beta-testing life...
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hi,

No mate its £74 a day.

For a sergeant! Which as a recruiter he probably is.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/benefits/pay ... y(TA).aspx

Soldiers are always compulsory mobilized. However that effectively means volunteers can turn round to their civvy bosses and say. "sorry, its compulsory, you dont have a say (which actually they do if they can mount a good case...)".
In a good unit, soldiers are vying for spots on tours rather than trying to dodge them. I do know REME guys who have been properly compulsory deployed without having a choice on the matter as their skills were in demand. Probably worth chatting to your unit this.

Obviously the TA want soldiers who are in it for the challenge rather than the dosh! And willing to go on tour.

Ignore the newspapers, units are responding individually to budgeting, some will continue to train, some have been asked to resign and reenlist next year.

Tom
johnnyt

Post by johnnyt »

Tom

Thanks for the info mate. Appreciated.

:D
I'm beta-testing life...