Share This Page:

My fitness routine..what does everyone think?

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
ParaToBe

My fitness routine..what does everyone think?

Post by ParaToBe »

Hello just wondering if you guys can put some input into my current fitness schedule please.

Monday - boxing
Tuesday-thai boxing
Wednesday - 6:30am press ups, sit ups, 3 miler. 5:30pm weight training, focusing on explosive strength
Thursday - BJ (Brazilian Jujitsu)
Friday - 6:30am press ups, sit ups, 3 miler
Saturday - same as wednesday
Sunday - Rest
IT WILL COME!

81 press ups in 2minutes.
tom163

Post by tom163 »

How many pressups & situps are you blasting out mate? also once every 2 weeks I throw in a 1.5 miles timed run to note improvement.
ParaToBe

Post by ParaToBe »

Well iv just started running and doing press ups and sit ups by my self to be honest mate but im doing best effort in 2mins and i got 42 press ups and 52 sit ups and 19.47 for a 3miler on a treadmill i am going out on a run in like 5 mins over a terrain similar to Dartmoor but it is the moor near me =] going to do a 3 miler over there see what time i get mate.
IT WILL COME!

gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Not bad but Id say you need to be doing a lot more road work! when I was training I was doing 5 plus miles almost every night, chopping and changing with regular runs, sprint intervals and few fireman's carries and that was only TA. Its more about endurance than strength and by the looks of it your only doing three 3milers per week, I don't think that will get you very far! You ought to build up to running a 10 miler at least and see how you cope.
'Every man an Emperor'
ParaToBe

Post by ParaToBe »

Cheers mate, just got back from my run couldn't finish it :cry: was about .5 of a mile close to home but i pushed to hard was 12.04 at the second mile couldn't believe i was doing so well got about half way through got a stitch was sick twice and i couldn't physically go on lol, but hey if i can just keep going for that extra .5 of a mile i should be running between 18-19 mins for 3miles lol but that half a mile will be a long one :) i spoke to my older friend who has passed the poc for the marines and he said all he ever did was three 3 milers a week with press ups sits and pulls ups before them and he passed the poc with a 1.5 mile time of about 8.50 sumet, i think at this current time if i attempted a 10miler i would never return home lol :o
But thanks for your suggestion :D
IT WILL COME!

tom163

Post by tom163 »

ParaToBe wrote:Well iv just started running and doing press ups and sit ups by my self to be honest mate but im doing best effort in 2mins and i got 42 press ups and 52 sit ups and 19.47 for a 3miler on a treadmill i am going out on a run in like 5 mins over a terrain similar to Dartmoor but it is the moor near me =] going to do a 3 miler over there see what time i get mate.
Thats good to say you have just started mate, if you could get your pressups to around 60-65 ish in 2 mins without stopping and your situps to around 80ish in 2 mins again without stopping it would put you in good steed for depot.

About the treadmill, basicly ditch it completely. It is a usless tool in my honest opinion. Its nothing like road running which is alot harder. Just keep running and doing your best and you will improve.
ParaToBe

Post by ParaToBe »

Yeah im going to lol :D The only reason i went on it was so i could put a 3miler in my sig the otherday when i joined up lol (i didn't have a 3 mile outdoor route then) the next time i do it im going to keep it at a steadier pace :) Hehe today was supposed to be a rest day, i find it impossible not to do something fitness wise if im just sat around on my own doing nothing. Thanks for the advice mate.

Karl. 8)
IT WILL COME!

gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Theres nothing wrong with doing what your doing and copying the routine your friend did. However what works for some may not work for others and in general if your lagging - (in this case you are because you have said your struggling to complete 3 miles) - you tend to increase endurance fitness, which normally means a far longer route at a steadier/slower pace. If your just starting don't worry as when your young you have excellent natural base fitness anyway - unless your very rotund. This means that tweaking it to get to a higher level of fitness will take less time than an old duffer like me for example. :wink:
'Every man an Emperor'