Share This Page:

Need some help...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
muzza1982

Need some help...

Post by muzza1982 »

I am currently going through the process of joining the RAF as ground crew( weapons tech). I have had my fitness test and my first couple of interviews ,my specalist interview is in November. My question is , i'm 27 am i really just too old and going to be seen as some sad old git, considering the majority of the people joining will be 18ish? I do want to join and genuinly think i would enjoy it. I just need some HONEST advise from some one.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Simple answer?

NO!

I was 26 nearly 27 when I went through Halton, and there were a couple of guys older than that. Your age will probably be an advantage to you in comparison to some of the kids who've joined straight from school with no life experience.
Just go for it!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
howie

Post by howie »

I am in the process of joining the RAF Reg, and I am 34, so I don't think you should be too worried, as the Cpl on my PGAC said, if you're good enough.....etc. Good luck.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

howie wrote:I am in the process of joining the RAF Reg, and I am 34
Fair play to you mate. Did you get much stick from the training staff or any of the lads? :lol:
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
howie

Post by howie »

Thankfully not, in fact the Cpl was quite supportive (that was un expected, believe me).
Actually, when I think back to June, it wasn't till the last evening on the PGAC, but, what the hey. you take what you can get, where you can get it.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

Good luck to you mate. It's true what they said, if your fit enough, your good enough!

You think you will have any issues with a 24-25 year old member of staff screaming at you when you do your TG course? I'm a bit older and got asked that when I did my final interview at ADSC.

howie

Post by howie »

No, that will be a piece of cake.....I have been married for 7 years, and have 3 boys. Been trained by the best in that respect. :lol:
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

I like it.... :D

I just said it's about respect at the end of the day. I want to acheive what they have, so am willing to listen and learn everything I need to!

Would be interesting to see some of the traing staffs faces when you turn up....! :lol:

howie

Post by howie »

Yeah, should be quite a picture, but like you just said, it's all about respect, and as they are the ones with the knowledge and experience, it will be head down and mouth shut, speak when spoken to, etc......
eleven

Post by eleven »

am also 27 mate and will be 28 in november and ive just started my application to join the paras a hope theres 1 or 2 people my age when i go to phase 1 training
barb test-66 passed 27/7/2009
interview-done 11/8/2009
medical-in Progress failed
can re apply july 2011
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

eleven wrote:am also 27 mate and will be 28 in november and ive just started my application to join the paras a hope theres 1 or 2 people my age when i go to phase 1 training
I'm sure there will be mate, I just turned 28 a couple of weeks ago so your not that old! :lol:

Wholley

Post by Wholley »

howie wrote:I have been married for 7 years,
You must by now be used to getting screamed at 8)
I've been married three times and the screaming did not abate until my last divorce when the whining noises finally stopped. :o
howie

Post by howie »

Wholley, I have got to say Yes, although I would hazard a guess, and hope
that the tone and pitch will change somewhat!!!! If it does not, then something is seriously wrong with the selection process for the PTIs. :lol:
We shall find out soon enough!
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

howie,
at 34 are you going back in or is this the first time round for you? I went into RAF Regt when I was 28. I was put up as senior man for nearly 4month, no easy task when the guys age range is mainly between straight from school and mid twenties. you will get lots of squabbles going on and prob take the flak for other lads mess ups. on the whole Id say the staff dont insult your intelligence, being an older recruit - in fact I think they find it more helpfull not having to deal with 'kids'. Just go there and enjoy and while your at it chin any spotty herberts that get out of line :lol:
'Every man an Emperor'
howie

Post by howie »

Hey Gunner75,

I am a first timer, almost became one of those "I wish I had done that," statistic types, but luckily got off my...aw you know the rest.....

The more I think about it I think I could actually look forward to playing a mentor type role, should be a good experience. Hopefully. :o