Share This Page:

pti expectations

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
marti88

pti expectations

Post by marti88 »

hi guys, im currently training for my pgac on 31 august and am curious about whether the pti throw you out instantly if you stop running on the 3 miler because i complete it in about 23min at the moment which i know isn't great but am working on it but towards the end i have to slow down for abit and basicly fast walk just to catch my breath for about 20 seconds so would that count as failing?
thanks for any input.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

without sounding like im having a go. you should be breezing 3 milers at this stage so close to the main event. But i will say this, no matter what walk of life your in if you stop so near to the end of anything to catch breath someone somewhere will be on your back to 'encourage' you to go on and push further - multiply this by infinity in the forces with lots of use of 'nasty' language! When i were a lad doing it with the paras a good old fashioned punch to the back or a boot up the arse done the job to make you move a nd get up there with rest of the squad! having said that when i done 3miler in RAF Regt I coasted it near the front and I was prob the eldest there (I was 28) and if a pti booted me id of prob chinned him (nah not really - you play the 'game' any age in recruits).
seriously though mate - your running with a squad, you WILL NOT want to be beaten by JOE BLOGGS from mongy land so you WILL get the energy from within. depends how much you want it - but 3 milers piece of p*ss. With the new updated PGAC you want to be aiming for 7 to 7.5 min miles pace to be on ultra safe side - but aim for what your told by AFCO.
'Every man an Emperor'
marti88

Post by marti88 »

yea i know i should be better thats why im training hard at the moment because i want to make sure im at the front and make sure i'm in that top 10 (i know it's top 15 but want to be extra sure, haha). not to make excuses but i recently packed up smoking so i think my troubles lye in my vo2 oxygen rate or simply put my lungs are lazy and dont want to work haha. i think i will be better running with a squad aswell because like you say i don't want to be beaten by some random bloke.
thanks for your reply gunner75.