Share This Page:

kit list queries,

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
paraprep1

kit list queries,

Post by paraprep1 »

hey lads,

i have not yet recieved my kit list but have a few niggling questions that i would like to clear up. apologise if this is a really bone post :o .

whats the deal with ironing boards? do you have to bring them or are they supplied at barracks?

how is the cleaning done at depot for clothes? are they done by washing machines in our blocks, or does someone do them for us(sorry if i sound lazy for asking that :P ) do we have to bring washing powder or anything for the machines?

whats the most recommended iron to get, as i have heard you life pretty much depends on it at depot!

would i seem like a complete mong for bringing my own broken in standed issue boots? what would the staff think of this?

and lastly does your own brought stuff get inspected at depot like everything else?

again sorry if this is bone. any replies would be appreciated! :D
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

cheers for the reply mate, ill do my best to keep my ironing board and iron away from sticky fingers!

do you know how washing is done at barracks for clothes?
druadan

Post by druadan »

I'm surprised no-one from Catterick has answered this yet. If it's anything like the Corps, washing for first few weeks is done by hand (take powder), and later you'll be allowed to use launderette facilities.

Boots, if they're standard issue, I'd take them in your civvy clothes. After a couple of weeks once your new ones are starting to look a little worn you'd be able to slip them out with no-one being any the wiser. In the Corps you're actually issued your first pair after PRMC to break in before training starts. If you're in the field or doing phys in boots in the first couple of weeks, I very much doubt anyone would notice yours were slightly more worn anyhow. If you think it'd be an issue, just wear the spankers ones round camp. I'm sure someone who's been to ITC will be able to clarify this.

Ironing boards - at CTC they're provided, don't know about Catterick. Worth taking your own cover if they are provided, so you can slip it on when you're using it and take it off after - far easier than ironing on pusser's issue covers.

Iron - don't skimp, but any decent steam iron will do nicely. You shouldn't have much cause to use starch any more - I only ever use it on the collar of dress shirts, never on working rigs.
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

cheers for both of those replies, sounds like sneaking in my boots could be a bit risky, could be a thrashing waiting to happen :o :P

On my prac course i noticed the iron covers kept shedding this weird sparkly stuff that got all over my kit as i ironed, is that the standard issue cover?

in response to 'danielchristopherlee's post does anyone know if we get issued dry bags? im fairly sure everyone gets a survival tin as well?
mm1306

Post by mm1306 »

Bring the boots, ask if you can use them and they'll probably be fine with it,worst they could do is thrash you and thats gonna happen anyway.

Of course if you want a pair of decent boots just tab with no socks, you'll get bad blisters and can actually get a chit for altbergs. Some of the "blisters" you can get altbergs for are quite literally pathetic. I never did this but it might be worth a try, those boots are about 5 times better.
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

The best I can do is tell you what it was like when I was there mate:

There are some ironing boards in the block, but they are really crap, left by the old plt. who would have just left. Bring one if it says on your joining instructions you can. It is a must!

You get to use a laundry (doby) on the barracks, they wash and dry your kit, but you will hand wash stuff too, if you need it the next day for example, so bring some handwashing liqiud or powder stuff too!

Get a decent iron, but not some mega expensive one. You don't want it packing up on you after a few weeks. Make sure it has got a steam feature ion it!

I wouldn't recomend you bring your own military kit mate, you get everything you need so it's not worth it. Don't think the training staff will be too keen!

Your civvy stuff won't get inspected, you have to iron it obviously (not that you get much chance to wear it!) and if you choose to bring any military stuff, they probably would!

Hope this helps mate! :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

gpw2009 wrote:The best I can do is tell you what it was like when I was there mate:

There are some ironing boards in the block, but they are really crap, left by the old plt. who would have just left. Bring one if it says on your joining instructions you can. It is a must!

You get to use a laundry (doby) on the barracks, they wash and dry your kit, but you will hand wash stuff too, if you need it the next day for example, so bring some handwashing liqiud or powder stuff too!

Get a decent iron, but not some mega expensive one. You don't want it packing up on you after a few weeks. Make sure it has got a steam feature ion it!

I wouldn't recomend you bring your own military kit mate, you get everything you need so it's not worth it. Don't think the training staff will be too keen!

Your civvy stuff won't get inspected, you have to iron it obviously (not that you get much chance to wear it!) and if you choose to bring any military stuff, they probably would!

Hope this helps mate! :D
cheers for that mate, answered all my questions! :D