Share This Page:

para

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
bricko7

para

Post by bricko7 »

how does the para field exercises during training compare to the field exercises during marine training.

i left marines due to the demand in the field, the constant beastings and the sleeping in freezing conditions muddy lack of sleep.

i have a mate in the paras week 23 who says he loves it and the field is the best part (not sure whether he enjoys beastings or it is generally more relaxed)

i am considering the paras but am not sure as for the reasons i left the marines whats your opinions, thanks.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now he may just want to be a paratrooper full stop, and field excercise are just a part of the training to him. Now with that frame of mind he just enjoy the training as this is what he wants.
GunnerBhoy

Post by GunnerBhoy »

I wouldn't apply for the Paras thinking its going to be any easier than RM training, your mate might be loving it but you will get cold wet and tired regardless.
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

Cold, wet and tired on field exercises are the same no matter what part of the forces you join.

If It ain't raining It ain't training.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

constant beastings...check.
muddy, freezing conditions...check
sleep deprivation...check
and this is 'only' the TA Battalion - 4Para, multiply the intensity by 10 and you will have what the regular Para recruit gets hurled at him.
as mentioned you got to want to do it or it doesnt matter what unit you are in you willl get fed up. I used to love gettin out into the field I thought it was the bread and butter gettin all warred up!
Id hazard a guess and suggest not saying what youve stated on here to a recruiter especially one with a maroon lid on his head. he will prob think if you cant hack it there you wont hack it here my lad! :wink:
'Every man an Emperor'
gpw2009

Post by gpw2009 »

If you don't enjoy being in the field, I wouldn't join the forces in general, let alone the Para's mate.

Being in the field in training is hell, but like your mate said, it's the best part. If you can't cope with the 'demands' in training, not sure you will like it when Terry Taliban are putting some rounds down in your direction! :o

Maybe look at doing a trade, REME or AGC..... :D
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")

ADSC: Passed 07/07/09
Depot PARA: 18/10/09
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

lol why would para field excercises be any easier than marines exc :-? paras are shock troops and have to be prepared to spend weeks behind enemy lines if neccasary, the very bread and butter of the paras is being in the field... im no expert but i fairly sure you wont find the training any easier mate.
bricko7

Post by bricko7 »

yeah, the best way to find out is the para insight course. i will arrange the soonest date and get a better look for training.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

paraprep1 wrote:lol why would para field excercises be any easier than marines exc :-? paras are shock troops and have to be prepared to spend weeks behind enemy lines if neccasary, the very bread and butter of the paras is being in the field... im no expert but i fairly sure you wont find the training any easier mate.
But the para's don't get any extra field craft training or anything like that compared to the normal infantry. Obviously they they get the parachute training but they don't do extra field or weapon training...
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

It's not the quantity, it's the quality.
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
paraprep1

Post by paraprep1 »

EagleEyes wrote:
But the para's don't get any extra field craft training or anything like that compared to the normal infantry. Obviously they they get the parachute training but they don't do extra field or weapon training...
i thought weeks 21 -26 (or something like that) were just pure field and weapon excersises; or am i mistaken in thinking this?
partymarty1987

Post by partymarty1987 »

We get trained to use the GPMG, no other Infantry Regiment uses this at training.
bricko7

Post by bricko7 »

[quote]We get trained to use the GPMG, no other Infantry Regiment uses this at training.[/quote]

The Royal Marines use the GPMG through training.
druadan

Post by druadan »

lol why would para field excercises be any easier than marines
That's obvious ain't it? :wink: :roll:
And as per Bricko, GPMG has been part of RM RT for the last four years or so.
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

bricko7 wrote:yeah, the best way to find out is the para insight course. i will arrange the soonest date and get a better look for training.

i thought you were talking about exercise you dont do any exercises on insight course and the blokes certainly dont get thrashed on an insight course as much as they do in depot
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"