Share This Page:

Catterick.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
tobyj

Post by tobyj »

jstagg, where did you get your maglight and torch things from?
BARB Test: Passed
Basic Skills: Passed
Written Medical: Passed
Interviews: Passed
ADSC: - Passed
Intake - 1st March
Choosen Regiment - The Coldstream Guards
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

My gran parents actually got me the torch but i got my head lamp from a hikers shop, flexi strap so it can be either around my head or around my helmet (still doesn't sound right using helmet in a sentence)
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
tobyj

Post by tobyj »

Are right. Could you ask them and let me know matey?
im going to buy a head light too from argos or the local army and navy sturplus store.
ADSC: - Passed
Intake - 1st March
Choosen Regiment - The Coldstream Guards
AddzWilkinson

Post by AddzWilkinson »

i've seen good headtorches in the army surpls store near me. so i will have to pick one up.. and using helemt does sound a lil weird lol.
thanks for the advice being put up here.
i still wanna know if any1esle has intake date of 22nd March lol
ADSC: - Passed Pirbright 3rd/4th December
Intake - 22nd March catterick
Choosen Regiment - Princes Of Wales Royal Regiment
silas

Post by silas »

ive got a few bits from this site, seems prity reasonable, and they will price match if you see it cheaper else where.

http://www.army-surplus.org.uk/
Poachers, Royal Anglian Regiment
pfcmase

Post by pfcmase »

might be silly but some one said head torch needs red light on it to any one no ??........ :-?
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

I don't think the army will expect every new recruit to bring specific things like a red light shade, not every one who joins is Army savy so there is not MUSTS just a rough idea of kit to take. so i very much doubt it would be needed and you could no doubt buy one from the naffi possibly
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
pfcmase

Post by pfcmase »

yes spot on thort the same im just guna get normel white light one from argos :)
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

Another question on behalf of a friend. At ITC i know your tested on fitness to see whether you have to be back trooped, is this at the beginning of training or nearing the end of either p1 or p2? a couple of people have said it's half way through P1, but it doesn't make seance to me because it would mean allot of people would possibly be back trooped
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Just skipping back to the headtorch thing.

No, of course they don't expect you to turn up with all the kit an experienced soldier would own. BUT certain bits of kit you will be advised to get throughout training. Lads on here obviously have an advantage as they can, if they wish, purchase this kit in advance rather than having to shop during your valuable free time.

My personal advice is to take a head torch with a red filter - you can often get away with some red light at night on exercise, especially in harbours in woods, as it is far less visible than white (which will get you thrashed if you're tactical). Petzl are popular and good, and whilst a little more expensive than some, will last years and be of constant use. The one's with a red filter are barely any more than without, and the filters flip or slide over the lens, so you don't have to fanny about trying to keep track of them in pockets.

I would also get a small maglight (either AA or AAA size - the Mini and the Solitaire I think) or similar, for precise light when you're tactical. Common advice is to tape the end out and just put a pinprick in to give you sufficient light to see a map close up, but this sort of thing will be passed on by your training team.

On shopping - for kit you're going to use specifically for military work, steer clear of places like Argos - generally it's not hard enough wearing or made on the cheap. Pay the extra for proper stuff and you won't have to replace it so often. Cotswolds is an excellent high street shop, and Blacks isn't bad. Alternatively RV Ops has just about everything, although slightly overprices...Dropzone Supplies is also worth a look (Google them for websites).
AddzWilkinson

Post by AddzWilkinson »

http://www.army-surplus.org.uk/webtex-3 ... -3301.html

Guys this is the dogs! i ordered on last week and it came yesterday and there incredable. do the job of long distant white light and up close red LED, used it woods when i went camping with mates.. propa smart things :D i 100% advice you to grab one of these.. cheap aswell ?:D and its from military website so yu know there gunna last. thanks for whoever gave link to army surplus store :D
ADSC: - Passed Pirbright 3rd/4th December
Intake - 22nd March catterick
Choosen Regiment - Princes Of Wales Royal Regiment
silas

Post by silas »

AddzWilkinson wrote:http://www.army-surplus.org.uk/webtex-3 ... -3301.html

Guys this is the dogs! i ordered on last week and it came yesterday and there incredable. do the job of long distant white light and up close red LED, used it woods when i went camping with mates.. propa smart things :D i 100% advice you to grab one of these.. cheap aswell ?:D and its from military website so yu know there gunna last. thanks for whoever gave link to army surplus store :D
yea I saw those but thought they looked a bit tacky, but now you have given it a good review I may have to purchase one. got some stuff coming from the that website tommorow, stash bag/wash bag/sewing kit/sealable waterproof bags.
DARREN_ROSS

Post by DARREN_ROSS »

this is a website i came across i thought it was quite reasonable

www.survivalaids.com

hope it helps
druadan

Post by druadan »

Oh, Adz just reminded me of one pertinent point: AVOID WEBTEX LIKE THE PLAGUE. They're as cheap and poorly made as some of Pusser's new kit. I've never seen one of their head torches so won't go as far as to comment there, but unless their quality has improved dramatically in the last couple of years steer clear of their bergans, daysacks, vests, webbing etc.
silas

Post by silas »

druadan wrote:Oh, Adz just reminded me of one pertinent point: AVOID WEBTEX LIKE THE PLAGUE. They're as cheap and poorly made as some of Pusser's new kit. I've never seen one of their head torches so won't go as far as to comment there, but unless their quality has improved dramatically in the last couple of years steer clear of their bergans, daysacks, vests, webbing etc.
oops i just bought a few bits of webtex stuff :(