Share This Page:

Eyesight requirements...facts not a question.

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
GestaltO

Eyesight requirements...facts not a question.

Post by GestaltO »

Hi all, new to the forum although i have been lurking for some time now.

Anyhow, i've looked through most of the info on here and couldn't find any iron clad info regarding eyesight for RAF Regt and RAF in general with the exception of some aircrew and pilots. So today i rang the local AFCO after getting no real joy from the advice line. it happened that the guy i spoke to was actually doing an interview on someone who just did their medical so he had all the up to date paperwork in front of him...as follows;

uncorrected vision within -8.00 - +8.00
corrected vision -2.00 - +2.00

To clarify the corrected part, is for example, with contacts lenses/glasses or after laser surgery. oddly apparantly some people have glasses that are not actually suited to them and still have upto 2.00 variance with glasses or contacts.

Laser surgery is not frowned upon apart from for pilots, however you are not allowed to apply within 12 months of the surgery and afterwards you will have to have an eye examination to check the surgery has left no lasting damage to the eyes.

Hope this helps anyone like me in future looking for the info. I now have a choice of getting laser surgery which means probably another 2 years before i can join or trying for RM which is realistically what i've always wanted to do anyway, it's just that the RAF Regt seemed a better fit for my lifestyle and age (25 at present). The other choice is i stay in my miserable unfulfilled life where i've always put off joining for one reason or another (kid, women, blah blah)

GestaltO :(
anna1

Post by anna1 »

Excellent yes that is useful, I've been a bit confused about the eyesight thing for a while now, but now feel reassured! I think go for it, whatever you really want that is, although I guess its easy for me to say that being a single student, just starting my application process... Good luck!
gingerwig

Re: Eyesight requirements...facts not a question.

Post by gingerwig »

GestaltO wrote:Hi all, new to the forum although i have been lurking for some time now.

Anyhow, i've looked through most of the info on here and couldn't find any iron clad info regarding eyesight for RAF Regt and RAF in general with the exception of some aircrew and pilots. So today i rang the local AFCO after getting no real joy from the advice line. it happened that the guy i spoke to was actually doing an interview on someone who just did their medical so he had all the up to date paperwork in front of him...as follows;

To clarify the corrected part, is for example, with contacts lenses/glasses or after laser surgery. oddly apparantly some people have glasses that are not actually suited to them and still have upto 2.00 variance with glasses or contacts.

Laser surgery is not frowned upon apart from for pilots, however you are not allowed to apply within 12 months of the surgery and afterwards you will have to have an eye examination to check the surgery has left no lasting damage to the eyes.

Hope this helps anyone like me in future looking for the info. I now have a choice of getting laser surgery which means probably another 2 years before i can join or trying for RM which is realistically what i've always wanted to do anyway, it's just that the RAF Regt seemed a better fit for my lifestyle and age (25 at present). The other choice is i stay in my miserable unfulfilled life where i've always put off joining for one reason or another (kid, women, blah blah)

I had laser surgery last year and have just had an orthalmic supppliment back from Cranwell, after i applied for WSOp. I am fit for all branches of RAF. So yes as long as it had been a year and you meet criteria for eyesight you are free to apply (not sure on pilot though, think that may still be no no).
GestaltO

Post by GestaltO »

oooh. That's made less depressive. I Was ready to die after i spoke to them today. It's been my dream to be RM since i was 12 but then the RAF Regt was a better fit as i said and after finally putting it off to be told that i basically couldn't because i'm friggin blind was irritating.
ofens

Post by ofens »

seemed a better fit for my lifestyle and age (25 at present)
Hey don't worry about that...I'm 30 and halfway through RM training.
Yes it's tough, but it's tough for everyone!
Although most of the recruits are 18-20, there are a significant number of lads in their late 20s and early 30s,
and I have seen plenty of these pass out and go to a unit.
8)
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
GestaltO

Post by GestaltO »

again, making me feel less downheartened. cracking stuff. thanks for the positive comments lads. Guess now it gives me more time to get fit (the most fitness i currently do is making a brew) also gives me time to debate RAF Regt or RM with myselfas both are extremely appealing to me.
wlshyd

Post by wlshyd »

How applicable is the above info to the WSOp positions?

I have read an awful lot of stuff, but the comments above would suggest that refractive surgery would enable WSOp selection? (If after the mandatory 12 month embargo period, of course...?)
gingerwig

Post by gingerwig »

wlshyd wrote:How applicable is the above info to the WSOp positions?

I have read an awful lot of stuff, but the comments above would suggest that refractive surgery would enable WSOp selection? (If after the mandatory 12 month embargo period, of course...?)
I can only tell you what i have experienced. I have had laser last year, and sent a othalmic suppliment off to cranwell through afco and it came back saying i was fit for all branches. It may be the case that i get pulled up later on, i dont know but at the moment i can apply
wlshyd

Re: Eyesight requirements...facts not a question.

Post by wlshyd »

gingerwig wrote:
GestaltO wrote:Hi all, new to the forum although i have been lurking for some time now.

I had laser surgery last year and have just had an orthalmic supppliment back from Cranwell, after i applied for WSOp. I am fit for all branches of RAF. So yes as long as it had been a year and you meet criteria for eyesight you are free to apply (not sure on pilot though, think that may still be no no).
I have read some of your posts before on here when you were considering WSOp application. Did you have refractive surgery once already in the RAF or before? And you are eligible for WSOp selection with corrected surgery?

Any enlightenment would be very much appreciated...
wlshyd

Post by wlshyd »

ah gotcha, sorry wasnt expecting such a quick reply!!

What was your eyesight pre-correction? Did your AFCO say that you were ineligible if your eyes were worse than say -2.00?
gingerwig

Post by gingerwig »

wlshyd wrote:ah gotcha, sorry wasnt expecting such a quick reply!!

What was your eyesight pre-correction? Did your AFCO say that you were ineligible if your eyes were worse than say -2.00?
My eyes pre-surgery were -1.75 in both eyes, i had surgery early last year and now have 6/4 vision which is better than that needed for pilot, although i wouldnt be able to cause of the surgery plus i`m too old :cry:

the report that came back said i was fit for all branches.

Afco didnt know really thats why i had eye test sent to cranwell, but i do know that you need to wait the 12 months.

hope this was of help.
wlshyd

Post by wlshyd »

gingerwig wrote:
wlshyd wrote:ah gotcha, sorry wasnt expecting such a quick reply!!

My eyes pre-surgery were -1.75 in both eyes, i had surgery early last year and now have 6/4 vision which is better than that needed for pilot, although i wouldnt be able to cause of the surgery plus i`m too old :cry:

the report that came back said i was fit for all branches.

Afco didnt know really thats why i had eye test sent to cranwell, but i do know that you need to wait the 12 months.

hope this was of help.
thanks mate, sorry i have just PM'd you in case you didnt see!!

thanks for the info
wlshyd

Post by wlshyd »

Lets hope that meant pilot and pilot only, and not aircrew, but if it had meant all aircrew i expect it would have stated so.

I have wanted to do it for most of my life, fly in some capacity. I am pursuing a career in commercial aviation but fancied a stint in the RAF first. Refractive surgery is just something i want for me, not only for my career so i think i'll go ahead with it and see where i get regardless
sasal83

Depressing!

Post by sasal83 »

That is rather depressing reading! I am desperate to apply for Admin branch as an officer but my eyesight is -9.75 in my left eye, right eye is ok and within limits though. :(

I'm still going to submit my forms...see what happens!
anna1

Post by anna1 »

Good luck I think thats the best thing to be positive! When I went for an eyesight test at the weekend I got told that so long as one eye was within the limits you would be ok. So hopefully that is the case!