Share This Page:

Airborne Forces way of lacing Boots

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
rickshaw

Airborne Forces way of lacing Boots

Post by rickshaw »

"To be is to do" Socrates.
"To do is to be" Descartes.
"Do be do be" Sinatra.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Is this just to be diffrent, or is there actauly a reason?
got1

Post by got1 »

[quote="Stinky"]Is this just to be diffrent, or is there actauly a reason?[/quote]

Yes, it's called bulls**t.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

That may be the way that the Portuguese Parachute Regiment (Pára-Quedistas de Portugal) do it, but that doesn’t mean it’s a universal thing. The Greek military wear silly pom-poms on their feet....... I don’t see many ceremonial units wanting to follow suit. And for a start, it looks like it takes about 50m of bootlace to achieve. Our QMs don’t issue anything more than they have to.

BTW that para girl is also on their website....... (‘tis a girl, not just an attractive looking bloke, right?)
The tall lad behind her...... His beret..... :roll:Are you smuggling LPs?!!” As my old sergeant-major would say (Doesn’t work since the advent of CDs and the demise of vinyl)

The youtube link for their regiment shows something you don’t see too often...... Parachuting war-dogs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TQuoASzdBpA

As for laces, I always preferred the zip-up inserts you could buy. Not for use on barracks, but great on exercise or ops when looking after your feet becomes really important but time is limited. Gets your boots off in seconds and more importantly, you can get them back on in seconds if you get bumped while your mates are stumbling around or tripping over their laces..
ofens

Post by ofens »

Must take ages to get those boots done up / taken off...

Where can you get these zip inserts, and is there a proper name for them so I can look them up?
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

The 'lace-in zipper' may be available from your PRI shop... (I used to pick mine up from the american PX)

Can be bought online. However, may no longer be recommended as they may not fit the modern issue combat boot. (They were very useful around the time of 'Boots Combat High' and puttees!)
jstagg

Post by jstagg »

I don't know, i used to get se sick of polishing my old work boots to keep them healthy and last longer but even sicker of replacing laces when that little metal hoop you have to pass them through eats away at them and makes them snap, it would seem if i can see it right that if i done my laces that rediculose way there wouldn't be a problem lol
2 Rifles.

Herrick 10/11 Completed.

Home in September.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Thanks sportbilly42, that's great. 8)
I know they wouldn't be allowed in RT but they might be useful later on. Or at least to keep me happy for 5 minutes...
ofens
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

At one time the lace used to go straight across from hole to hole so that with one flick of a knife your boot could be taken off with out any fuss
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

When you have fark all else going for you such that your Para unit standards admit petit femmes and you can't convince the RQ to buy any decent bloody hats, you make fancy patterns with your boot laces. It's SOP! The gay cravats are apparently optional!
Fusilier

Post by Fusilier »

What a load of shi*, that said I think I would give her a nice hump it she asked nicely. :lol:
Last edited by Fusilier on Mon 26 Jan, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/806d_7.jpg][img]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb163/SCD4/th_806d_7.jpg[/img][/url]

"The Regiment has served in every major campaign dating back to 1674."

3 RRF
Anti-Tanks: MILAN
Army Colours for Judo.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I'd climb over you guy's to get to her but then I'm not a gay para :P

Incoming!!!!!
got1

Post by got1 »

Best laces are para cord, melt ends into point and lasts for ages.
ofens

Post by ofens »

At one time the lace used to go straight across from hole to hole so that with one flick of a knife your boot could be taken off with out any fuss
Yes I remember my mum telling me this when I was little, hence all school shoes/trainers/football boots were laced that way in our house...
we never had any broken ankles though (she should have tried harder),
and I suppose I should be glad we never had to cut our shoes off like that!
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

I don't fancy those guy's chance of having a decent landing with a dog strapped to the front of them, on a round parachute!! Chance are the dog may be injured too.

As for those zip things that go in your boots, no one in Para Regt would dare be seen with them, they are howling hat kit!! :lol:

And getting back to the original post, yep what a load of crap! (the fandango lacing method)