Share This Page:

New Sticky ideas

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
druadan

New Sticky ideas

Post by druadan »

Now these may have been suggested before, but I'll stick my 2p in anyhow.

I've had a sudden spate of people starting the application process and asking me questions - a mate, a mate's expat mate in the UAE and and a lad my missus works with who's joining RMR. I had a quick flick through myself to try and drag up a couple of old threads, and realised just how much stuff there is on here to sift through - no wonder people don't search well or at all!!

My main thought would be for a sticky for common questions on joining and RT. I'm not talking about how to do exercises (although adding to the sit-up Sticky with the press-ups and pull-ups may be a good idea if it hasn't already been done) or 'how did you find...' etc, but common questions from what topics should be learned for the interview through to what to expect in training itself. Each question should ONLY be answered by someone who has successfully completed that part - there's plenty of lads in the process plus a few of us serving who can answer fairly accurately. With a little work from moderators, each question and answer can be put together in one post, with the questions in bold followed by the answer (I'd volunteer, but a. I'm not a mod, unless you can give control of just one thread, and b. I'm away at the minute which sometimes restricts my access). Bone/irrelevant/surplus questions can be deleted or moved to another non-sticky thread, with a quick note to the poster as to why. This should develop a fairly concise thread which stops at least some of the repetitive questions.

Main reason I suggest it is that I used to post a lot of answers to this sort of question up until a couple of years ago, but basically got threaders writing the same stuff time after time. It could be done in one big thread, or separate smaller ones for eg. Interview, PJFT, Medical, PRMC, Phase 1 Training, Phase 2 Training and Admin (Pay, Accomodation, Welfare etc). The first post of each thread could contain current criteria where relevant eg. PJFT - current time required and distance, and the mod responsible could be PMd when any info becomes out of date so they can update the relevant answer.

I realise it would be a little more work for someone to maintain this, but it would ease some of the thread-load and perhaps encourage others who don't post or post less now to participate more as they wouldn't have to search through the same old stuff for little interesting nuggets.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

I like it.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
druadan

Post by druadan »

l'Artiste has picked up the reins on this so we'll see what becomes of it.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Result.
I can't see the harm in it at all. Would save a lot of the same questions!
Which, to the new user is no fault of their own from the start, it's not completely obvious to use Search.
Hopefully this gains substance though.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
ofens

Post by ofens »

Ideal - I remember when I first started reading this forum, I did loads of searching and a lot of the answers are here, but that would make it all more organized and easier to find.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

very good idea...not much else to say... i like it :D :lol:

Stokey