Share This Page:

breathing during running

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
jarhead

breathing during running

Post by jarhead »

Hi all.

I am currently getting used to running, and as a decent swimmer finding the breathing aspect of it something of a interesting thing.....

I was wondering when i run should i breath in though noise out though mouth, or any sort of way?

i finding at the moment if i try controled air iin though noise only, i can keep my heart rate at a pretty decent pace and dont cramp up at all during running, but i find i cannot keep this up for any long periods ie 15+ mins.

Also find noise sometimes doesnt get enough air in when i up the tempo during run.

When i try in though mouth i find i can easly get air in but( hopefully you understand what i mean) i find i hyperventilate, and cannot controle my air and so find running at pace 7 /7:30 min mile hard to do for 3 miles ect.

long post.... but hopefully this makes my main question clear, is there a known technque for running breathing or a best way to get air flow in ect??

hopefully you guys can help a novice runner
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

Howdy,

Just run and breath is all i can say, i know marathon runners will probably have a breathing rythem or pattern, but for like 3 miles i doubt it matters to much.

ive been injured for a long time, and if I'm honest, its getting me down. So much so that I'd forgotton all about the corps and lost my determination to beat my injury. Recently ive began running again, and found that if you dont do a proper warm up, youl hyperventilate quite early on in your run, say after a few minits then it will calm down.

my understanding or my theory on this, is that this is your bodys way of getting O2 into the blood and muscles, because you havent done so already by warming up, it thinks Sh*t breath...then you settle

but like i said, breathing is important...but for what your letting your self in for, i suggest you learn to breath out of your arse.

:wink:
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
Artist

Post by Artist »

Whenever I speedmarched or just ran I used to breathe with the rythm of the pace I was running. May sound odd but it worked for me every time.

Everyone has their own method. That was mine.

Artist
Ty

Post by Ty »

smudger289 is right about getting oxygen into the blood. I use to train with a marathon runner, and one of the best tips he told me is this.

Before your run take deep breathes through your nose, hold for second then blow out from your mouth. Do this for about 4 - 5 minutes, not stopping. You'll feel your heart start to beat faster as it mimics a slow jog and gets the insides warmed up. Then when you take off for your run, you should already have a good breathing rhythm down. Hope it helps.

Also, I pace myself and breathe much like you Artist, I find it works quite well.
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing
Cresswellx

Post by Cresswellx »

My method is to just breathe in and out of my mouth and take big deep breaths and fill my lungs up everytime i find that breathing through my nose i dont get enough oxygen into my lungs.
And i usually just run i dont think about how im running just concentrate on my breathing. you will find it so much easier

but like everyones saying people run different you just need to keep running and find out which way works for you.
barb - Passed
Selection - Passed
Medical - Passed
Intake -12th january 09
druadan

Post by druadan »

This is an interesting one, which as shown already has many different answers, the big one being - whatever works for you.

Over short distance, up to 1.5 miles, I tend to just hang out my arse and get air in any which way. Over that, I always start breathing deeply in through nose and out through mouth, though if you're maintaining any sort of decent pace that won't last long. I find for a good run I have to force myself into a rhythm, which I tend to do over four paces - one in, one step, two out, with the two coming out in a haaa-haaa kind of noise. I find this helps me maintain a constant pace and lets you switch off, which makes life a lot easier. Until you come to a big hill, then you just blow out again :wink:

A lot of lads say running and breathing to the beat of music works well, but you'd have to keep altering your speed to each track!
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I personally find I take large in-ward breaths through the nose and faster breaths out through the mouth when running... I found out when running competitively a few years back that breathing like this worked really well for me and i shaved large chunks off my time rather than the run and breath how ever you can approach... right now I'm training with my gum shield in most of the time which means breathing is a whole new ball game (do it for boxing reasons) but the occasion we train with out gum shield it's amazing how much easier it is.

Now I'm not suggesting to do this as there is no real need for military training but it is interesting to see what a difference it makes.

Anyways as has been said... Find what works for you as everybody is different

Stokey
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

i just did a 5 miler ish run this week, the route was quite hilly, at start i have a fat arse hill at start which i then do again at end, sort of a loop which times twice in run.

i found 2-3 miles probally due to cold i was just using mouth and tried to keep air flow nice and steady which seemed to work, i was too bussy trying to keep a good pace.

then 3+miles pain ect latic acid, i found i needed to try count 1,2 in though nose then 2 outish though mouth this seemed to work with getting air into body though wasnt at all nice to be honest lol, very wied force breathing, while running compared to when i swim.

point was i did find i didnt get as much stomach pain or cramp as used to but got leg pain(latic acid ect) so i guess you only need to force breath when you start to feel worked.

i got 40mins on my 5 miler ish run is this really bad? (hilly route probally doesnt count for RMs:L)
druadan

Post by druadan »

8 min miles over 5 miles plus isn't a bad pace - for that distance 7min miles are perfectly acceptable.

One of the best way to ease stitches is to breath deeply, they're caused by something along the lines of your diaphragm rubbing against some organ or other (stomach lining)?? That's from a very vague memory, no doubt someone will have the definitive answer. Anyhow, deep breathing by expanding your chest cavity fully reduces this friction and hence eases the stitch.

Part of the nose's function is to warm cold air entering the body - breathing through the mouth negates this, so when running in the sunny UK trying to take as much through the nose as possible can help reduce the sore 'bite' at the back of your throat.
Ste Preece

Breathing

Post by Ste Preece »

My method of breathing when running is (In through the nose and Out through the mouth). I used to find that, when digging deep, taking big breaths, my throat used to get sore, as highlighted in Druadan's post. However, like some of the guys have said, its all about finding what works for you.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Stokey_14

Re: Breathing

Post by Stokey_14 »

Ste Preece wrote:My method of breathing when running is (In through the nose and Out through the mouth). I used to find that, when digging deep, taking big breaths, my throat used to get sore, as highlighted in Druadan's post. However, like some of the guys have said, its all about finding what works for you.

Cheers

Steve
Steve... I believe i read in you're books that you boxed in the Marines, I was just wondering what the crack with that is? I love boxing and if and hopefully when I do get in the Marines at some point in my career I could see my self being interested in boxing for them too.

It's a good way off I know and I'm focusing on getting in first of all, just interested to know what it's like. Training, frequency of bouts, how it links in with other soldering based side of work etc.

Stokey

P.S.
Sorry to hi-jack the thread... maybe a PM is more appropriate
Ste Preece

Boxing

Post by Ste Preece »

Hi stokey: yes I did box in the marines mate and it was great.

If you're into sport, then the Corps will give you tonnes of opportunities to participate.

If you're good at boxing, you'll spend more time in PT kit, at times, than in uniform.

A year or so ago I met up with Terry Marsh. I don't know if you're familiar with him. I was at his world title fight in 1987 in Basildon. Terry is a former bootneck and he won the world championship then. That night they played a record by a group called "Tears For Fears. It was called "Everybody Wants To Rule The World." And that night Terry really did.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Cheers Steve, well that sounds great... I'd love to follow it up in the Marines weather it is just for fun and love of the sport or depending on how I progress as a more serious persute.

I had herd of Terry Marsh though didn't know he was a Bootneck ... goes to show you learn something new everyday :P

Cheers

Stokey
Sully

Post by Sully »

Great fighter but I heard a dit from one of his old oppos from AD Troop that he was put on his arse by a young lady in Sam's discotheque (Exmouth). Come on, own up - we've all caught a good 'un from a member of the fairer sex at some point? :lol:

Aye

Sully
Per Flank, Per Tank
Ste Preece

Stunner!!

Post by Ste Preece »

Suly yes, we've all been there mate...

There were a few occasions where I said a few words to a female that resulted in pulling them or getting a good slap across the face. The latter, did happen every now and then. No sense of humour some people!!

Anyway: The worst one was during one night in Cascades. There was a girl whom I'd pulled the night before, when I went back to her place and did the biz. However, she got a sad on, when I told her I was leaving to go to Cascades. She threw a chair at me. It clattered as it just missed me at the foot of the stairwell. LOL.

Somebody asked her the following day, why she threw the chair and her answer was, because she couldn't lift the fridge!!

That night, I'd pulled another STUNNER!!! It was around 10 minutes to 2am and I was getting ready to leave. She came over and gave me a mouthful of abuse and I just laughed at her. Just then, unexpectedly, she thrust a half pint glass towards my face. I don't know why, but at that very second, my knee buckled as if someone had just pushed the back of it, yet no one was there. This caused me to slump backwards slightly and the glass missed me. Anyway: I just laughed. Strange but true. Then for some apparent reason I binned the tart who was waiting for me and went home with the angry girl for another round of tennis!

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource