Share This Page:

What do you call...

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
dan_engel

What do you call...

Post by dan_engel »

Hey guys! Just posting a small question

For those who are interested, I'm still quietly training along, only difference being that I'm finally 18, and with around 6 months left till I finish 6th Form.
Anyway, back to the question.

Does anyone know those little hand exercise thingies...ya know where you hold two metal bar like things in one fist, compress to close it, and repeat. I was thinking of getting one, but knowing what they're called would probably help!
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard, when times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you."
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

There called “Grippers mate” , loads of different type out there, cheep ones from JJB up to "captain crusher" or something like that which have all different Lb's of pressure behind them... Why you want a pair? Week forearms or something?

Just wondering.

Stokey
_chris

Post by _chris »

Their called hand grips usually but are sometimes called other variations on hand exerciser etc. Type in or ask for hand grips though; I've used golds gyms stuff before and its ok, you can buy them direct from this link.
dan_engel

Post by dan_engel »

yeah mate, my forearms are pretty scrawny. I just fancy something that doesn't take ages to set up and is easy to do when you only have a few moments spare.
thanks for the help guys.
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard, when times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you."
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

No problem mate, I used to have week forearms before my boxing coach advised me to use these things/ a few other exercises such as reverse fore arm curls and fore arm curls, before i go to be 3-4 nights a week... Tell you what though they don't half ache for a little muscle group :oops: .

It was a pain at the time because I keep hurting my wrist when doing bag work but now I don't have any problems at all.

Stokey
803troop

Post by 803troop »

If you want to bake your forearms get into climbing.

Baz
davidemmerson

Post by davidemmerson »

What about those Powerballs, do they do the same job? I was looking at getting one, anybody got some and if so, are they any good?

Sorry dan_engel, for hijacking the thread slightly.

David
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

You could just furiourously masterbate as well. :roll:

Hand grips are easy to pick up, the sell them in any old sports shop. When you get one, just sit there reading a book or something while you do about 100 on each arm. You'll notice the difference soon enough. They can actually get quite addictive!

Powerballs are more for your wrist. :lol:
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
dan_engel

Post by dan_engel »

AJtothemax, with the answer everyone was thinking :)
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

You could just furiourously masterbate as well. :roll:
That never worked for me. Being blessed with a third leg it's more of a shoulder action! :lol:

On a cleaner note, I'd suggest doing pullups on the thickest bar you can find. I do mine on the swings at the park where you really have to hang on for dear life to pull yourself up. Will work your forearms no end and you'll find when you do pull-ups on a thinner bar you'll be able to do a couple more ;)
RT: 10th November
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Reading the paper and repping a cheap sports shop gripper will do nothing for your scrawny forearms. I've got the entire Heavy Hand Gripper range, they are all you need. Start of on the 150 with holds, and rep it if you can.

I've got the 400 pounder, it's a monster, and only a group of people around the world have conquered it.

They are scarily effective, set up a routine and your forearms will double in size quicker then you could ever imagine.

As for Powerball's, I rate them, but the Gripper's come out on top.
hemmingwayIII

Post by hemmingwayIII »

I use grippers, ive got fairly soft ones, but the ideal thing is, you dont have to stop what you are doing to use them, you can wotch tv, listen to music etc whilst using them. So you can do lots of reps without realising how much you are actually doing ....... If that made sense?

i picked up a pair off of an ebay(im a cheap bastad :lol:) fitness equipment shop for about £15.
Life Is Short, So, Sleep When You're Dead
Brian-

Post by Brian- »

ADDiction wrote:I've got the 400 pounder, it's a monster, and only a group of people around the world have conquered it.
Can you do it then?
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

Most definitely not, maybe in a few years.

The HG range goes up to 350, I can currently rep the 300 "Gripper King". It's really interesting witnessing your grip develop, feeling it's advantage's in training, and crushing cans and stuff!

The "Gripping" industry is quite big in America, and it can become quite a hobby. Sounds weird, but it's more productive for training then gawping at a screen.