Share This Page:

Fighting Fit for SAS,Commando and Para Selection

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
eroo

Fighting Fit for SAS,Commando and Para Selection

Post by eroo »

well,this is my first post here..so here goes nothing!!i thought id try and help those who ask questions about fitness levels for SAS,SBS,Commandos or Para Selection.Rather than give a complicated answer,i will tell you this:
the book 'Fighting Fit:Fitness Training Guide For SAS Selection' by Adrian Weale will get you fit,then even fitter.there is a 'Fighting Fit' programme lasting four months which will have you unbelievably fit,then individual Selection Training programmes for SAS,Commandos and Paras.this could also be used as a guide for Irish Army Ranger Wing selection.
Basically,if you are military and are looking for a career in Special Forces,then this is essential for you.With instructions on running,swimming,weightlifting,cycling,bergan workouts,mountain training,survival kit,first-aid kit and more!Even if you are a civvie(like me!) the fighting fit programme will get you to a peak level of fitness.
if you have any other suggestions for those interested in SF careers,why not post them here to help those in preparation for SF selection!?

*i dont claim to be an expert on SF selection but i have seen fitness plans for Irish ARW selection and this book gives same guidelines and then some!

-eroo
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

I've got this book my self, very good book (quite small but decent information) couldn't say weather it is the perfect or even a decent book/program to use if wishing to join any of the listed forces (due to never attempting any military training)... does make a lot of since though and worth the money in my opinion.

no fad's/or fake promise’s just good solid information... all that said, I think you could find a lot of the same (probably more) information on this here site.

Decent book to refer back to, from time to time

Just my opinion :wink:

Stokey
Mr_Kiwi

Post by Mr_Kiwi »

i have the book too, its very useful but most of the tips and techniques you can find here. the programs on here are nice and well set out
'Peace is to important to be left to politicians'
ofens

Post by ofens »

Excellent book.
I've found it all very useful (except the recipes, which I haven't tried, but they sound good) and often refer to sections of it.
It's a good quick-reference for training, injuries, schedules, preparation etc.
There are sections discussing preparation and training for SF, P-Coy and AACC (unfortunately no PRMC prep, but you can't have everything!).
Has a good humour angle throughout that makes for enjoyable reading.

It's true that much of what you'll read in it can be found on here (MFAT) but I think it's a useful reference book you can just pick up to consult.
Who knows, maybe one day some smart writer will compile a book from those in-the-know on here... MFAT the book!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
jabcrosshook

Post by jabcrosshook »

PAGreenwell wrote: Actually I have used it, when I was 14 and training for the SAS I did a few sessions out of that book! :lol:
Did it make you into the steeley eyed dealer of death you wanted to be? :lol:
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hmmmm, and yet again we see those who think they know advise the course of action to those that think they know.

I dont know so therefore I cant inform. Lots of hills apparantly. But I dont know, and if I did I wouldnt claim to know as like Ive said I dont know.

The real question should be just what is it I do know, well fark all really.

So there.............
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Hello Doc,

Good to see you back and posting. You've hit the screw on the head there.

Incidentally, I bought the book many years ago to see what all the fuss was about. I used to read it in the bath of an evening, but after a time a significant number of pages fell out. Did anyone else have this problem? I feel it was the poor quality glue used in binding the sheath but I can't be sure.

I look forward to hearing from you all on this.

Regards,

CS
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I had a book once....
Someone read it to me. :-?
Does that count?
adj125

Post by adj125 »

CptStabbo wrote: Incidentally, I bought the book many years ago to see what all the fuss was about. I used to read it in the bath of an evening, but after a time a significant number of pages fell out. Did anyone else have this problem?
The pages got stuck together on mine :oops:
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

adj125 wrote: The pages got stuck together on mine :oops:
And we really needed to know that? :P :P
Doc

Post by Doc »

I read a book once too, dictionary it was called, farking crap, apparantly the Zebra did it :o
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

CptStabbo wrote:Hello Doc,

Good to see you back and posting. You've hit the screw on the head there.

Incidentally, I bought the book many years ago to see what all the fuss was about. I used to read it in the bath of an evening, but after a time a significant number of pages fell out. Did anyone else have this problem? I feel it was the poor quality glue used in binding the sheath but I can't be sure.

I look forward to hearing from you all on this.

Regards,

CS
Capt

I am sure you could find a way of sticking it back together again :lol:

Interesting enough Adrian has seen MFAT in the past and sent an email to me saying he thought it was a good idea....
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

Bugger, Amazon don't accept paypal and I am struggling to find a book shop that does.

Anyone fancy selling me their copy?
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

robbiedont wrote:Bugger, Amazon don't accept paypal and I am struggling to find a book shop that does.

No, sorry.

If you can only pay through Paypal, your best bet is ebay (obviously), but you may get lucky on www.abebooks.co.uk

Regards
T_T
robbiedont

Post by robbiedont »

Tartan_Terrier wrote:
robbiedont wrote:Bugger, Amazon don't accept paypal and I am struggling to find a book shop that does.

No, sorry.

If you can only pay through Paypal, your best bet is ebay (obviously), but you may get lucky on www.abebooks.co.uk

Regards
T_T

Ah ha! Found one on that site and for just £1.50! Muchos gracias :)