Share This Page:

23 SAS selection

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
mark22

23 SAS selection

Post by mark22 »

Me again is 23 SAS selection also conducted in wales alongside 22 and 21? or does the squadren that your in test you themselves?
Billy_C

Post by Billy_C »

yes selection takes place in Wales, Brecon Beacons. I think (don't quote me on this) selection for 21 and 23 take place over the weekends rather than a flat out full few weeks like on 22 selection.
adj125

Post by adj125 »

23 do most of their weekends up north and then come down to wales for a week to go over some of the ground that will be used for test week
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
Joe_Cocker

Post by Joe_Cocker »

Depends on the sqn. actually.

Get down there as much as you can before you even start; nothing heavy, nothing fast, just familiarising yourself with the ground.

Knowing just 3 or 4 small 'shortcuts'/sheep tracks/marsh-avoidance-routes can save you 10s of minutes. Totally priceless when you're chinstrapped.

Aside from that it breeds confidence.

So....if your squadron isn't one of the 'chosen ones' and trains elsewhere -get down there yourself, it could be the difference between passing and failing.
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

Light dawns on marble head.......
Cocker,your acting as if your full of experience but all your doing is stating well known information and hoping someone reads it from you for the first time.
Your an ar$e mate.

KP
I EAT CANNIBALS
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

KP - "hey kettle, you're black!"
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

So's your old dear's neck!

KP. :wink:
I EAT CANNIBALS
Joe_Cocker

Post by Joe_Cocker »

An a rse I may be....'fully experienced' (whatever the technical definition that refers to nowadays anyway{?}) I am most certainly not.

Anything I say could be rather easily obtained by any driver, chef, mechanic, recruit, clerk, or friend. I may be one of them, I may be none (one day maybe all if things go well). I haven't made a claim either way. More likely I'm just a Walter Mitty trying to make a name for myself.

Now let's analyse this thread (another sign of a WM; too much spare time):

The author requested perfectly reasonable and publicly accessible information regarding the whereabouts of build up training on the course prior to the assessment (TW). One can infer many intentions behind this request, all quite feasible. One reason must be of general interest - the guy wants to know where he will be training for logistical pruposes. Another may be that this man intends to get some time on the ground before applying for the course so that he is fully prepared (good drills). By emphasising the benefit of getting time on the ground but at the same time stressing the necessity for no weight and low intensity. There is no way a sound logical rational man can claim this is bad advice. The reason I felt compelled to reply is that this advice advocates training BEFORE sidling up to a unit where advice on training prior to the course is hugely scant if not wholely unavailable.

Training is this way WILL help any potential recruit; and so long as he takes a partner (gay or otherwise), safety gear and minimal weight he is standaing himself in good stead for achieving his goal. Recce (another word WMs love - the evidence is piling up) of the ground is the aim, along with sound overdistance training.

The advice I have given is useful, sensible and current. Please post a link where you have done the same.

We need to be attracting and encouraging blokes to join all parts of the military and specifically the TA - not scaring them off with fairy stories.

Look forward to your reply so much I'm just going sit here pressing refresh all day.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Joe_Cocker wrote: The advice I have given is useful, sensible and current. Please post a link where you have done the same.
Your eyes are brown right? :roll:
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

What a reply that was JC,are you a social worker by any chance,or just on school holidays?
Walking around with no weight good preparation for joining an SAS(R) unit?
Are you mad?
Only if you have another 6 months build-up to pre-selection available!
For the record details of what is required are far from unavailable.
Low weight and no intensity is the worst idea I've ever heard of,the DS i have encountered say if you follow the guidelines they send out you have almost zero chance of passing and you should be beasting it as much as possible-and doing it over ground you will be tested on if possible!
Advice that is sensible and current?

Do as much running,stretching,mountain biking,swimming and yomping as possible and eat as much as you can and sleep as much as you can.
Simple even you can follow that surely?

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
Joe_Cocker

Post by Joe_Cocker »

The aim of the course is to pass the week of marches at the end of a 6 month build up, nothing else.

What can we infer from this? That we want to be in our best physical shape during that week.

So now we have to ask ourselves - how can we get in this shape?

In the long term if one uses their rational, intelligent educated head we can look at professional elite ultra-distance athletes and use the facts we know about human physiology and the way they train to aid us in our noble quest (see, Wholley, that counts as banter in my books :wink: ).

'Beasting' yourself from day one onwards invariably leads to injury and certainly an early peak (remember what our aim is).

I'm not going to go into the specifics of how one should train, and what intelligent training consists in. Needless to say any serious recruit for the Army/RM/Paras/SF will do their own research. I have provided two excellent sources for those who are interested. If you come to the conclusion, after doing your research, that 'beasting' yourself for 12 months is the best way to acheive your goal (again, that goal being passing test week), then so be it. But please don't pass on dangerous, damaging information if you really are ignorant of the facts.

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0834.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Training- ... 343&sr=8-1

If you are going to embark on something like this, then do the research and give yourself the best shot at success.

Just because someone tells you you should be beasting yourself from day one, it doesn't mean they're right (no matter who told you). You will beast yourself to get in the required shape later on the course. But doing it too early will not get the best results.

Remember kids; knowledge is the bomb.
Joe_Cocker

Post by Joe_Cocker »

Also...

KIMBERLY's advice on stretching, sleeping and eating is spot on.

'yomping' I'm not so sure about! :wink:
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Sleamaker's book is a good book and I agree with not beasting yourself everyday and that no weight and low intensity are vital.

KP - Again, stop putting across you're VIEWS like they are fact.
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

I was putting across my experience and that is a fact.
Thank you.

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

Actually king duck,what do you know anyway,have you ever done selection or served?

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS