Share This Page:

Most recent major battle honour?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Chris_Manchester

Most recent major battle honour?

Post by Chris_Manchester »

Im going on PRMC tomorrow and im stuck on the questionaire i was given to fill out, question is "what was the most recent battle honour for the corps". Sorry if its a daft question, i just cant find anything on the internet.
FPGRM
S Squadron
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

I think... It was the Falklands. Ummm, Port Stanley or Goose Green.

Someone feel free to confirm / correct me.
Roll off...?
jezb

Re: Most recent major battle honour?

Post by jezb »

Chris_Manchester wrote:Im going on PRMC tomorrow and im stuck on the questionaire i was given to fill out, question is "what was the most recent battle honour for the corps". Sorry if its a daft question, i just cant find anything on the internet.
Im on the same prmc and I havent had any questionaire?
rt 10/09/2007
ChrisBell

Post by ChrisBell »

Dont worry to much about the questionaire some people get given it and some dont. Its just handy going over it before you get your interview.
Last edited by ChrisBell on Tue 24 Apr, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruicent
Location: Somehow ended up in Slough.../Back in sunny Lympstone

Post by cruicent »

"The only time you should start worrying about a soldier is when they stop bitchin'."
Congrats 946Trp
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

It could the clearing of Al-Faw peninsula by 40 Cdo.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Polynikes wrote:I think... It was the Falklands. Ummm, Port Stanley or Goose Green.

Someone feel free to confirm / correct me.
Except that, of course, bootnecks weren't at Goose Green, 2 PARA was :roll:

I highly doubt anyone was awarded anything for Port Stanley, given that though the defence when it was taken was against the odds & exceptionally brave, it was not quite a battle; and at the end of the campaign the Argentinians didn't put up a fight to protect it.

Answer to your question, as far as I'm aware, the RM Corps have and will have only one battle honour for now and always, and that's 'Gibraltar' on the globe & laurel. By tradition, the globe stands for all the others. Individual Commandos have other battle honours I believe, but the Corps just has the one. At the very least, knowing all that should earn you more points on Corps knowledge, even if the question is looking for the most recent honour awarded to a Cdo.

PS Which a quick net search would have told you:
http://www.royalmarinesregimental.co.uk/histctrad07.htm

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail.as ... wsAreaID=2
(Read a few paragraphs down)

...and so on.
sd88

Post by sd88 »

This doesnt answer your question, however this is taken from the official website at http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2567

The Royal Marines are one of the oldest units in the history of the British Forces, formed in 1664 from the trained bands of London. They have a proud history and unique traditions; they have so many battle honours that the 'globe itself' has become the symbol of the Corps. Currently, Royal Marines are serving all around the globe from Afghanistan to Bosnia and from Northern Ireland to the United States as well as on board HM Ships deployed worldwide.
POC: 8th May - Passed
AIB: 28th June - Passed
Final Selection: Failed!
Polynikes

Post by Polynikes »

"Except that, of course, bootnecks weren't at Goose Green, 2 PARA was"

My mistake. I got the info' from the 'how2 become' CD... Not the most reliable of sources :x

"One of the Royal Marines most recent achievements was during the Falklands War in 1982 where they played a vital role in the battles for Port Stanley and Goose Green"
Roll off...?
smudger289

Post by smudger289 »

Polynikes wrote:
"One of the Royal Marines most recent achievements was during the Falklands War in 1982 where they played a vital role in the battles for Port Stanley and Goose Green"
it also states this in a dated version of the commando strength of mind video i 'aquired' from the libary
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p271/butterbeanbootneck/smudger.jpg[/img]
INJURED!!
. . . . . . . . .
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I'm pretty sure there was an attachment of commandos at Goose Green with 2Para. They were a Milan attachment i think or it might have been artillery but that was 8 battery, not sure if that is a commando battery?

EDIT: found all units involved at http://www.naval-history.net/F48goosegreen.htm

BRITISH FORCES
Approx 500 men of 2 Para including 2x81mm mortars, Milans and GPMG's; 3x105mm artillery, 8 Bty, 29 Cdo Regt RA; Blowpipe SAM detachments, Air Defence Troops RM and RA; Recon Troop, 59 Cdo Sqdn RE for mine clearance
2xScouts and 2xGazelles, 3 CBAS for forward ammo supply and casevac, joined by 2xScouts, 656 Sqdn AAC
Frigate 'Arrow', 1x4.5in and RAF Harrier GR.3's from 'Hermes'
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Some Air Defence troops then. The others were all Army, attached to Cdos, not RM.

Stretching it a little for a battle honour, I think.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Sarastro wrote:Some Air Defence troops then. The others were all Army, attached to Cdos, "not RM".
If you are going to make statements like the above then make sure your 100% correct please Sarasto.

Bootnecks were indeed at Goose Green, a few helo crews (I think one helo was shot down and the crew killed, Pilot was a Capt Nunn RM but don't quote me on that one), A detachment from 3CDOBDERM Air defence troop (All Royal Marines), they used the Blowpipe which was about as much use as a rubber can opener, plus an RM sig detachment from HQ & Sigs along with some RM Staff Officers.

Not many true but they were there. As to the question concerning battle honours....Ain't got a clue what the latest one's are!

Artist
degrees of passion

Post by degrees of passion »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Commando-Brigad ... 832&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Marines-S ... 27&sr=1-23

ive got the second book and apart from being a good in depth all round read,he goes into ALOT of detail about royal in the falklands,i recommend it to everyone,its been a while since ive read it but im sure it will settle this debate :D
Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour'
GGHT

Post by GGHT »

Artist wrote:[they used the Blowpipe which was about as much use as a rubber can opener
:lol:

Why was that Artist?