Share This Page:

So you had to leave training because you broke?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
ashley

So you had to leave training because you broke?

Post by ashley »

Well, so did I, and I've wrote this. I hope that it'll remind some of you that might be threaders with an injury that they can be fixed, and not all is lost. (Unless you're a complete biff of course :))

In 2005 I was 18 and halfway through recruit training. Around the week 6 mark I'd been having pains in my lower back, so I visited sick bay a few times over the following weeks, usually just to get some cocodomol and anti-inflamatories. Regardless, I cracked on with it and just put up with it on the exercises over the subsequent weeks. Anyway, it didn't improve,and just seemed to get worse. It peaked on a load carry back from an exercise in week 14. I fell twice on the way back to camp, the second time being unable to stand. So I found myself in the back of the land rover for the last 2 miles back. This was followed by visits to sick bay and a recommendation that I was placed in Hunter Company. One of the most miserable things of my life so far was returning my rifle to the armoury whilst my troop was beginning their speed-march into a test exercise at the start of week 15, knowing I'd never be part of that troop again under the circumstances wasn't a nice feeling, but there we go.

In Hunter I was told that the problem was such it could not be easily diagnosed, and I might find myself there in a 4-5 months, facing a medical discharge which would bar entry for 5 years. Obviously I wasn't pleasesd at that, and decided to opt out and rejoin when the problem was solved.

So I found myself outside, and as such the natural reaction was to be threaders 24/7. I had a few dramas trying to get a job, and some other things, which ultimately taught me a few lessons and that phase is generally something I'm not fond of, but happy for the experience of dealing with the various problems I found. I don't think I'll ever know whether that was the best decision, since I don't have the benefit of hindsight with regards to the alternative decision. That said, looking back, I don't think I would change anything, regardless of certain other things not turning out the way I wanted. You can't learn some things if you don't make mistakes.

Over the next few months I had surgery for a hernia, and an MRI scan on my back, which revealed I had a bulging disc in my lower spine. I was told the problem can't be strictly "fixed", however, I decided to f@#k it and crack on with training and getting myself back up to standard to rejoin the Corps. (I was told that the best I can do is strengthen my core and build up the muscles around my lower back in particular)

And the culmination of the last 16 months of being threaders, unable to train and subsequently thrashing myself was passing PRMC, during the past week.

The point I wanted to make was regardless of problems and dramas encountered, always keep sight of what your main goal is, deal with any nonsense that comes along, don't moan and just get on with things. Or maybe I'm just some headstrong idiot that won't let go of my ambitions. Either way, if I can turn a shitty situation around, then there's no reason anyone else can't. Also, when your body makes funny clicking sounds when it shouldn't, see a f@#k doctor sharpish.

So, in that vein, crack on! (Unless you need to see a doctor, believe me :))
misterpurple

Post by misterpurple »

Great post ashley - just come back off a run and the combination of what you just said and smashing through my PB has made me feel f@#!ing brilliant :D
ashley

Post by ashley »

foxtrotgolf wrote:Well said ashley, hope you crack it this time. Where was the hernia?
Lower abdomen. I think it was an "Ingural hernia". Quite a routine thing apparently, but a bugger no less.

Cheers for the replies.
Stokey_14

Post by Stokey_14 »

Quite truly inspirational, to get back on your feet after something like that... Puts a lot of thinks into perspective does that, i mean when people give up at things because they "can't do it" really shows how pathetic they are... I see it in a school environment all the time people dropping out of 1500 M races! Because they "can't go on" or something to that affect and these aren't normally the really un-fit or ones who really have worked there socks of and just gone of too fast, these are the one who are lucky enough to have good health yet don't seem to which to use it.
I think I'm not alone in saying that, that post was a inspiration to us all. :D

Best of luck with everything hope your injury stays at bay from now on :wink:

Stokey
marinewannabe

Post by marinewannabe »

well said matey , ive been through something ''similar'' and your a f****** inspiration , good luck wit training matey and hope you crack it this time.
He who deliberates fully before taking a step will spend his entire life on one leg.
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

Throughly enjoyed reading that and i am really sorry to hear of your losses but the main thing was that you NEVER gave up. You cant ask for more from yourself.

Well done.

All the best mate. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
Jimbob1664

Post by Jimbob1664 »

I have had almost the same problem with a bulged disc and sciatica (my own fault, training with weights on my back in a poorly fitting rucksack). I was due to go on PRMC in December, but after going to doctor and informing AFCO i was taken off it. It's healed now after lots of core exercises and stretching, but the AFCO doctor has made me wait till July before going back and continuing with my application. I know my story isn't as bad as yours as you were half way through RT, but would just like to say that your post has given me even more hope that this sort of back injury doesn't mean that you can't come back and crack PRMC.
JCAP3

Post by JCAP3 »

I was informed that sciatica shouldnt stop me from re-applying in the future but its a bugger if you have it. If you suspect you have it before entering training (painful lower back due to injury), get yourself checked out otheriwise you could end up like me and Ashley.
[url=http://www.mfat.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15310][b]My PRMC Diary[/b][/url]
Artist

Post by Artist »

I must get stronger glasses!

I thought you meant you had to leave training because you were Skint!?!?!?!? :roll:

Good on you anyway for damn good thread.

Artist
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hi, I was medically discharged from infantry training in 2004; will I have to wait 5 years :o before applying for the marines?

If that is the case I’m rather fooked as my intension is to apply for marines in about 2-3 months time.

Thanks
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Class act Ashley. Been on a similar holiday myself and it grinds you down, but as you've shown if you just put your head down, keep on tabbing and never give up, you can crack it. I've heard plenty of shite from various military types about how sprinting hard or aceing an assault course shows 'determination'. Bullshit, it shows speed. Determination is what you've done.

Good drills mate, and good luck with RT MK II.
fodd

Re: So you had to leave training because you broke?

Post by fodd »

ashley wrote:Well, so did I, and I've wrote this. I hope that it'll remind some of you that might be threaders with an injury that they can be fixed, and not all is lost. (Unless you're a complete biff of course :))

In 2005 I was 18 and halfway through recruit training. Around the week 6 mark I'd been having pains in my lower back, so I visited sick bay a few times over the following weeks, usually just to get some cocodomol and anti-inflamatories. Regardless, I cracked on with it and just put up with it on the exercises over the subsequent weeks. Anyway, it didn't improve,and just seemed to get worse. It peaked on a load carry back from an exercise in week 14. I fell twice on the way back to camp, the second time being unable to stand. So I found myself in the back of the land rover for the last 2 miles back. This was followed by visits to sick bay and a recommendation that I was placed in Hunter Company. One of the most miserable things of my life so far was returning my rifle to the armoury whilst my troop was beginning their speed-march into a test exercise at the start of week 15, knowing I'd never be part of that troop again under the circumstances wasn't a nice feeling, but there we go.

In Hunter I was told that the problem was such it could not be easily diagnosed, and I might find myself there in a 4-5 months, facing a medical discharge which would bar entry for 5 years. Obviously I wasn't pleasesd at that, and decided to opt out and rejoin when the problem was solved.

So I found myself outside, and as such the natural reaction was to be threaders 24/7. I had a few dramas trying to get a job, and some other things, which ultimately taught me a few lessons and that phase is generally something I'm not fond of, but happy for the experience of dealing with the various problems I found. I don't think I'll ever know whether that was the best decision, since I don't have the benefit of hindsight with regards to the alternative decision. That said, looking back, I don't think I would change anything, regardless of certain other things not turning out the way I wanted. You can't learn some things if you don't make mistakes.

Over the next few months I had surgery for a hernia, and an MRI scan on my back, which revealed I had a bulging disc in my lower spine. I was told the problem can't be strictly "fixed", however, I decided to f@#k it and crack on with training and getting myself back up to standard to rejoin the Corps. (I was told that the best I can do is strengthen my core and build up the muscles around my lower back in particular)

And the culmination of the last 16 months of being threaders, unable to train and subsequently thrashing myself was passing PRMC, during the past week.

The point I wanted to make was regardless of problems and dramas encountered, always keep sight of what your main goal is, deal with any nonsense that comes along, don't moan and just get on with things. Or maybe I'm just some headstrong idiot that won't let go of my ambitions. Either way, if I can turn a shitty situation around, then there's no reason anyone else can't. Also, when your body makes funny clicking sounds when it shouldn't, see a f@#k doctor sharpish.

So, in that vein, crack on! (Unless you need to see a doctor, believe me :))
excellent post mate i am in the exact same situation from compartment syndrome from my injury from ctc! and what you said about when you came into civie street i know that feeling very much hope everything works out for you im getting there slowly just think it just makes getting that green beret even better! by the time i rejoin i'll of waited over 4 years for mine!
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cheers for the replies fellas. There's a few things that have been reitterated in your replies that I'll keep in mind, when I'm threaders on Dartmoor and whatnot, I'll remember it and appreciate it.
fodd wrote:excellent post mate i am in the exact same situation from compartment syndrome from my injury from ctc! and what you said about when you came into civie street i know that feeling very much hope everything works out for you im getting there slowly just think it just makes getting that green beret even better! by the time i rejoin i'll of waited over 4 years for mine!
When you looking at getting back down to Lympschvitz?
fodd

Post by fodd »

end part of the year mate i got to have a bit more physio from my operation
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.