Share This Page:

4kph

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
marcus

4kph

Post by marcus »

Was just wondering what everyone thought of the fact that the speed is now up to 4kph for 21 and that blokes seem to be struggling to make the grade? Is it going to be kept and what are 23 doing?
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

I think 21 and 23 are going through stages of becoming a lot more integrated with 22 at the moment given current operational demands.
Doing 4kph is a step in the right direction as its the speed the regs pass at although devising a programme to get guys who are usually holding down full-time employment at the same time up to that speed will probably require a bit of trial and error but I'm sure they will manage.
I don't doubt a good percentage of guys passing for 21 or 23 probably pass at 4kph anyway when it comes down to it.
No idea what the pass rate for SBS(R) is but they do an initial four day stint then 3 weekends in a row then a solid 2 weeks on the hills before test week,how is a guy with a full-time job mean to pass that?
Not easily,or likely...but hey thats the deal so roll with it!

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Hello All,

The 4Kph was championed by 23 and supported by DSF. The result? 23 got no-one through and 21 got only a few more.

Kimberly Wrote:
I don't doubt a good percentage of guys passing for 21 or 23 probably pass at 4kph anyway

No - they don't.

Rumour has it that DSF are 'revising' the speeds - hopefully without the input of our northern friends :wink:

I'm off down the shops at a much more sedate and reasonable 3.65kph.

Regards,

CS
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

23 are made to do it leaving no sign,walking backwards on roller skates and with a hunter force after them though,even still i heard they were managing 3.89kph!!!
vroom vroom!!!!
:wink:

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

KIMBERLYPARE wrote:I think 21 and 23 are going through stages of becoming a lot more integrated with 22 at the moment given current operational demands.
Doing 4kph is a step in the right direction as its the speed the regs pass at although devising a programme to get guys who are usually holding down full-time employment at the same time up to that speed will probably require a bit of trial and error but I'm sure they will manage.
I don't doubt a good percentage of guys passing for 21 or 23 probably pass at 4kph anyway when it comes down to it.
No idea what the pass rate for SBS(R) is but they do an initial four day stint then 3 weekends in a row then a solid 2 weeks on the hills before test week,how is a guy with a full-time job mean to pass that?
Not easily,or likely...but hey thats the deal so roll with it!

KP.
You dont really know what you are talking about do you? Even though you seem to do it a lot. 21 and 23 are becoming more integrated with 22? Why dont you keep those opinions to yourself because you know fook all.
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

a forum is where things are open to discussion and that is why i will not keep my opinions to myself.
if im wrong fair dues but i am expressing the opinion of a currently serving member of 23 who said i quote'SASR are evolving more and more like SBSR in working with the regs'.
suffering from PMT are we mrs duck?
what the hell do you know about it anyway you clown,have you left the BB yet?

The Pare hath Spoken!
I EAT CANNIBALS
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Ladies.

I can sense the tension in the room.

I'll settle this argument for you - you're both a pair of throbbers.

Good night!

CS
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Thanks CptStabbo. And yes KP I did have PMT...One of those days.. Cpt - It might be slightly misleading to say 23 championed the 4kph..I believe it was certain members of the Ivory tower and not the regt as a whole! And if anything was left to 21 everyone would be taking snaps of eahcother drinking shandy on the beach. :D

KD
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Afternoon King Duck,

You're right - 21 would be taking the photos for the scrapbook, but 23 will be texting them around the world to their wives and girlfriends.

Allegedly... :wink:

Regards,

CS
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

True...true..What can I say... STABs ay? I know..let's make them do 4kph because that will definitely bring up their military skills. Makes perfect sense when you look at it that way..
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Afternoon (and what an afternoon it is),

King Duck - i agree in part to what you are saying.

But - within reason you can teach a dedicated civvie military skills, you can't necissarily get a fat ex-reg round the hills at even 3kph let alone 4kph (as proved time and again - how many exPara's fail STAB selection?). Someone on high has deemed that the fitness requirement in the aptitude phase is equally as important as the continuation phase.

Sending mong civvies off to 4 Para is not the answer either. 4 Para don't want another STAB regiments cast offs, and they'll come back mong civvies who think they know it all anyway.

A tough one.

Regards,

CS
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Ha - Maybe, but 4 para will instil a sense of military discipline into them. They will understand what it is to be a new bloke and should hopefully have an idea of how to act in the rather more relaxed enviroment of a sqd. I dont disagree with your points about fat ex regs..BUT I think a 3.5 or 3.7 or something would be adequate. Look at the skakies how many of them are there? I just think 4kph isnt viable the way in which SAS(R) is currently working.
KIMBERLYPARE

Post by KIMBERLYPARE »

I noticed on the SASR webpage that they now do a week long stint prior to test week,this should aid candidates in achieveing the required speed of 4kph if they have managed to put in enough hill work in their own time during selection and maybe take a bit of time off work ,as well as them having a build up prior to the initital weekend with the CFT,run and swim test.
It looks a long but good course,I reckon they will crack it.
Do candidates with no previous not do P-coy prior to selection now also or is it just CIC?
4kph surely is not just a fitness test but a test of 'dig',for want of a better term and a chance for the Regiment to see if the guy is not just fit but showing the mettle to warrant them training him in the black arts.
I had to laugh recently hearing a fat current regular infantry seargent say regarding SASR Selection'I'ts just weekends....anyone can put in a good effort over a weekend'.
Priceless,nobody who has tried it would ever make such comment.

KP.
I EAT CANNIBALS
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

'Build up week' has run a couple of years now i believe. What you need to understand is there is a big difference between doing 4kph over a weekend and doing it everyday on testweek. I think you'll find that 3kph, 3.5 or whatever still tests your ability to 'dig in'. IMHO the difference between 3.5/3.7 and 4kph is knowing the ground well and being very hill fit, coming from the amount of time the regs get to do their build up and then the weeks on selection prior to the hills. ps..endurance will always test the candidates ability to 'dig in'.
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Kimberley,

Once again - you heard something from someone etc etc - you laughed at a 'Fat Infantry Sargeant.." etc etc.

Who do you think you are?

SF guys are trained in the 'black arts' are they? You know nothing. Stick to chucking one out over the UKSF website you fanny.

Kind regards,

CS