Share This Page:

TA

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
MarkBunt

TA

Post by MarkBunt »

Out of curiousity,

how does the process go, training etc?

and i hear fitness etc are pb not set times.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Depends on your unit, can only give you my current experience of 4 PARA RT.

Fitness starts as PB, so they won't bin you on the spot if you don't reach required times as with RSC and so on. However, if you aren't reaching the required times, you are expected to start doing so pretty sharpish. For your CIC or qualifying course you will still have to meet the same standards as any regular soldier.

RT is every other weekend for 4 months, and one night a week for a few hours. You are expected to improve your fitness outside of these times on your own - how much this will require depends on your unit, obviously for ours it's a fair bit.

Rest of your training time is spent learning the basics of soldiering & your unit trade. There is also a very small amount of 'homework' that you are expected to get into your head in your own time, but nothing too difficult that I've seen.
Chrisbrum

Post by Chrisbrum »

Its been a couple of years since I was in but from what Sarastro says I don't think it's changed much.

For us, if I remember correctly, after filling in paperwork, having medical etc it was 6 weekends away followed by the 2 week Combat Infantrymans Course at Catterick. The first 3 weekends were based on camp, and would consist of PT in the morning, followed by lessons and lectures during the days on topics such as drill, combat first aid, NBC, weapons drills, principles of marksmanship, cam and concealment etc. The next 3 weekends were field based. The Saturday would be spent either on the range or practicing section attacks, fire and manouever etc, followed by a night in the field then a CFT and sometimes an assault course in the morning. The remainder of the Sunday would be spent practicing certain drills, such as First Aid and NBC (including a trip into a CS gas chamber, which was fun and games!). The CFT on the final weekend was pass/fail, and there was also a First Aid Test.

The 2 week CIC was a chance to consolidate everything we had previously learned. The first week was spent on the ranges, and culminated in everyone having to pass their APWT. The second week included Bayonet Training (great fun!) and a 3 or 4 day exercise. As soon as the exercise was finished we were herded into a lecture theatre to see a presentation from a few lads from the SAS(R), but most of us were falling asleep by this stage! We were told on the final day if we'd passed or failed, and then had a passout parade.

Anyway, hope that helps. I don't think any of this is restricted, but let me know if it is and I'll happily delete it.

Chris
RMR
Written Test - Passed
Eye Test - Passed
Interview - Passed
Medical - Awaiting date
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Chrisbrum wrote:Its been a couple of years since I was in but from what Sarastro says I don't think it's changed much.

For us, if I remember correctly, after filling in paperwork, having medical etc it was 6 weekends away followed by the 2 week Combat Infantrymans Course at Catterick. The first 3 weekends were based on camp, and would consist of PT in the morning, followed by lessons and lectures during the days on topics such as drill, combat first aid, NBC, weapons drills, principles of marksmanship, cam and concealment etc. The next 3 weekends were field based. The Saturday would be spent either on the range or practicing section attacks, fire and manouever etc, followed by a night in the field then a CFT and sometimes an assault course in the morning. The remainder of the Sunday would be spent practicing certain drills, such as First Aid and NBC (including a trip into a CS gas chamber, which was fun and games!). The CFT on the final weekend was pass/fail, and there was also a First Aid Test.

The 2 week CIC was a chance to consolidate everything we had previously learned. The first week was spent on the ranges, and culminated in everyone having to pass their APWT. The second week included Bayonet Training (great fun!) and a 3 or 4 day exercise. As soon as the exercise was finished we were herded into a lecture theatre to see a presentation from a few lads from the SAS(R), but most of us were falling asleep by this stage! We were told on the final day if we'd passed or failed, and then had a passout parade.

Anyway, hope that helps. I don't think any of this is restricted, but let me know if it is and I'll happily delete it.

Chris
I don't think there is anything to worry about in terms of OSA there squirrell :wink: