Share This Page:

Bear Grylls - Comments.

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
SHOG-GI

Bear Grylls - Comments.

Post by SHOG-GI »

1974 - Born the son of Michael Grylls. He has no mother. Xenu spanws his younger brother Lara Grylls.

1995 - Served for three years with 21st Special Air Service Regiment, a special forces unit of the British Army, during which time he broke his back in three places, while parachuting over southern Africa.

1997 - Became the youngest British person to summit Ama Dablam in the Himalayas, a peak once described by Sir Edmund Hillary as 'unclimbable'.

1998 - On May 26, Became the youngest British person to summit Mount Everest and return alive. His book on this expedition, titled Facing Up, reached number nine in the best seller list.

2000 - Later that year Bear led the first team to circumnavigate the UK on personal watercraft, in aid of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) Lifeboats.

2003 - Led team across North Atlantic in a rigid inflatable boat (RIB). The book on this world record is titled: Facing the Frozen Ocean. It was shortlisted as 'Sports Book of the Year.' Along with Dame Ellen MacArthur, he was awarded an honorary commission in the Royal Navy in recognition of this achievement.

2005 - Led the first team ever to attempt to paramotor over the remote jungle plateaux of the Angel Falls, Venezuela, in aid of the charity "Hope & Homes for Children." The team were attempting to reach the highest, most remote high tepuis, made famous by Conan Doyle's Lost World.

2005 - Bear broke the world record for the highest ever open air dinner party [1], slung under a hot air balloon at 25,000 ft. Details of this adventure, in celebration of 50 years of The Duke of Edinburgh charity Award scheme.

2005 - During July, Channel 4 aired Escape to the Legion, a four-part documentary series following Bear & 11 volunteers over the course of a month in North Africa as they endured a course based on the basic training of the French Foreign Legion to find out "what kind of men [they] really [were]." The show was co-produced and presented by Grylls.

2006 - The show Man vs. Wild premiered in November, hosted by Grylls, which features him demonstrating survival techniques in hostile environments.
I would rather be ashes than dust!
adj125

Post by adj125 »

and your point is?
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
SHOG-GI

Post by SHOG-GI »

I am interested if anyone can validate his period of time with 21st Special Air Service Regiment.
I would rather be ashes than dust!
adj125

Post by adj125 »

why :o
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
sloth

Post by sloth »

i know young eddie he is a close friend of one of my m8s from 23 an absaloute gem of a guy (if rather weird) and totaly gen up
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Morning Adj,

He's from your part of the world isn't he? Should have paid attention to the PJI's.

80 feet...50 feet....30 feet......Feet make contact with the ground...................................NOW!

Ouch.

CS
adj125

Post by adj125 »

:oops:
Last edited by adj125 on Sat 11 Aug, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
CptStabbo

Post by CptStabbo »

Hi Adj,

He probably wants to out Bear as a Walt.

I've heard he is a great after-dinner speaker and an inspiring guy. I'll hopefully get along to hear him at one of his seminars one day.

Might be down to your location tomorrow night.

All the best.

CS
phenom

Post by phenom »

I've seen him in a couple of tv programs. He is a very likeable guy. He appears genuine, has a great attitude and comes across as quite knowledgeable. Plus he's writing a new book, some kind of survival guide, i guess it's to coincide with his latest tv program Man vs Wild.
Brownale

Post by Brownale »

Whens his new series on?
dooley

Post by dooley »

watched him tonight on channel 4 went into a jungle with only a knife and showed how to survive and escape good program on every saturday :D
Macca

Post by Macca »

Yeh i saw that programme and i think it was a real good watch, iv seen some of his other programmes before and rated him highly. His new programme is called "Born Survivor: Bear Grylls" on every saturday channel 4 7:20pm

cheers

Macca
dylanredefined

Post by dylanredefined »

Unfortunatly all his acomplishments are true ,and , by all accounts he is a nice bloke as well .
Maybe an overhill stab but not ready to hang
my kit in yet .If not quite death from the flanks
certainly a nasty fright.:)
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

I like his new show best of all.... something like "Values and standards" isn't it? Bear showing us how to take care of drunken friends etc... excellent...
--military enthusiast--

Post by --military enthusiast-- »

hello there!

i'm new to this, but i have to agree with the comments on Bear Grylls. his achievements are extrordinary, especially with his back injury then climbing everest not long afterwards, his new t.v programme started well also.