Share This Page:

SBS R briefing course

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Thanks mfat_man, that's the same book as I thought it was, I bought it a few years ago, no wonder it was crap!!

I've got a good mind to demand my money back :evil:

You'd think the publishers would have to check to make sure that these people are actually genuine before they put these books to print otherwise it blatantly misleads the public ie ME!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hello Alfa,

Yes mfat-man has it in one.
Pete Mercer is the person concerned. :evil:

Remember publishers are also in the money making market and perhaps at times are none too bright at background checks. :roll:

Rover
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Alfa wrote:Thanks mfat_man, that's the same book as I thought it was, I bought it a few years ago, no wonder it was crap!!

I've got a good mind to demand my money back :evil:

You'd think the publishers would have to check to make sure that these people are actually genuine before they put these books to print otherwise it blatantly misleads the public ie ME!
Reading the Johson Beharry VC book at the moment beginning is a bit boring all about Grenada but it's starting to warm up now :wink:
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Got this sent out to me last week

got some questions

"BPFA/RUN"
whats this? Maximum push ups/sit ups and pull ups in 2mins? 3 miles in 20 minites?

"20 min continuous swim trousers long sleeved shirt"
Where could I do this? Pool doesnt let me wear clothes.

w 40 min flexibilty
Whats this? Yoga? Stretching?

t 60 min steady state run level 2-3 (50-60% 60-70% mhr)
Dont undertand this either

Can anyone explain? much appreciated.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Can only answer some.

Local Lake, dive in and swim. Make sure you have a friend ready and waiting incase the worse should happen.

60 minute steady state run = running at either 50-60% of your maximum heart rate or 60-70% of your maximum heart rate*

*Maximum heart rate = 200 - your age.

Aka, for a 20 year old, maximum heartrate would be 220-20=200mhr.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Illustrious wrote:Can only answer some.

Local Lake, dive in and swim. Make sure you have a friend ready and waiting incase the worse should happen.

60 minute steady state run = running at either 50-60% of your maximum heart rate or 60-70% of your maximum heart rate*

*Maximum heart rate = 200 - your age.

Aka, for a 20 year old, maximum heartrate would be 220-20=200mhr.
Cheers for that. The lake idea is pretty obvious really insnt it? Should have copped on to that myself. :wink:

How about the BPFA or Flexibility then? Anyone?
jm745

Post by jm745 »

Err is it just me that thinks jumping in lakes in Britain even with a friend handy might not be the best idea?

Maybe when it gets a bit warmer,
but your asking for hyperthermia if you swim for 20 mins in your clothes in a freezing cold lake.

Just a thought.
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

Hey, I dont know where he's from the water in Brighton is sodding awesome. 8) 8)
jm745

Post by jm745 »

Lucky you mate,
I'm from Birmingham,
we've got more canals than Venice,
but I wouldn't fancy jumping in one of them to be honest.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Leeds area

20 mins on a rowing machine is suggested as a substitute
Doc

Post by Doc »

Steve do you think you have the IQ for UKSF(R), thats United Kingdom Special Forces Reserve incase your nose has started to bleed.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

[quote="Doc"]Steve do you think you have the IQ for UKSF(R), thats United Kingdom Special Forces Reserve incase your nose has started to bleed.[/quote]

I never said anything about trying out for UKSF(R).
Im just following the training plan as a personal goal.

As a moderator why are you insulting someone coming looking for clarification on some of the terminology in that training guide?

Ive never been in the British Army so I dont know any of the terminology. I have some valid questions as a novice.

:D
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hi Steve

First off, many thanks for your PM to myself entitled "oi" and offering me advice on how to relax. I'm not insulting someone, I'm insulting you.

Secondly, if you think my post was insulting then stand by, I get worse.

Thirdly, why is someone not interested in joining SF undertaking the pre-selection fitness training? Wannabe or just doing it to sound good? I took as granted the fact you were commentating on SF phys in a thread on SF phys in the SF section that somehow you maybe toying with the idea of going SF, my mistake. If you arent going SF then swimming without any clothes on in a pool is adequate I would guess, MP5's, respirators and black tape over your eyes is optional.

Fourthly, thankyou for biting, aswell as fitness SF training, wether pre-selection for guys who want to go on selection, or just guy like yourself doing it for a personal challenge, is also about frame of mind. You did ask some questions by your own admission you could have worked out yourself. Working things out by yourself is all part of the process to becoming physically and mentally prepared for SF, hence my tongue in cheek response above, which you bit on, twice. Granted I got the wrong end of the stick by thinking by commentating on SF phys in a SF thread within the SF section that you maybe going SF.

Dont bite bud, its what will fail you if you ever come near joining up.

anyway as a way of offering the hand of peace ........

Hope the phys is going well by the way and you are achieving your personal goals.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Doc wrote:Hi Steve

First off, many thanks for your PM to myself entitled "oi" and offering me advice on how to relax. I'm not insulting someone, I'm insulting you.
Thanks for clearing that up
Doc wrote: Secondly, if you think my post was insulting then stand by, I get worse.
Ah no, I dont think your so bad.
Doc wrote: Thirdly, why is someone not interested in joining SF undertaking the pre-selection fitness training? Wannabe or just doing it to sound good?
Total Wannabe, And its something different and there is alot of Hiking, Hillwalking with heavypacks involved which is something I like doing.
Doc wrote: I took as granted the fact you were commentating on SF phys in a thread on SF phys in the SF section that somehow you maybe toying with the idea of going SF, my mistake.
Fair enough

Doc wrote: If you arent going SF then swimming without any clothes on in a pool is adequate I would guess, MP5's, respirators and black tape over your eyes is optional.
Ive trained as a lifeguard before doing some very light swimming fully clothed. There is a big difference between swimming clothed and in trunks especially in any great distance. I was actually wondering how do guys train for this especially in cold british water. In Lifeguard training we just dived in, swam a length and surface dived, no big deal. Training for the CFT would be much more arduous. Ive had an idea since though, geta cheap wetsuit and throw some old clothes on over it.

Doc wrote: Fourthly, thankyou for biting, aswell as fitness SF training, wether pre-selection for guys who want to go on selection, or just guy like yourself doing it for a personal challenge, is also about frame of mind. You did ask some questions by your own admission you could have worked out yourself. Working things out by yourself is all part of the process to becoming physically and mentally prepared for SF, hence my tongue in cheek response above, which you bit on, twice. Granted I got the wrong end of the stick by thinking by commentating on SF phys in a SF thread within the SF section that you maybe going SF.

Dont bite bud, its what will fail you if you ever come near joining up.
Sound advice, thanks.
Doc wrote: anyway as a way of offering the hand of peace ........

Hope the phys is going well by the way and you are achieving your personal goals.
Sound, no problems.

Another question, I think the time BPFA for UK forces is 1.5 mile run in under 10 minutes 30 seconds. Is this the case for UKSF too? Paras and RM have different timings.

For the "basic gym tests" Is there a Push ups, sit up, heave and pull up score to hit in 2 mins? Or is 70 push Ups/ Sit ups in 2 mins fine?

Thanks for your time and help.
Steve14

Post by Steve14 »

Forget it, Just found this

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/ar ... 34947.html
Your BPFA is a 1.5 timed mile run. 2 mins of push ups and 2 mins of sit ups.
You have to the remember the SAS don't care if you can run 1.5 miles in 5 mins or 13 mins or if you can bench press 300 pounds.
What they are after is someone who can carry over 90 pounds of kit for more than 20 miles up and down mountains and arrive at the area able and ready to fight for over 48hrs if need be. They aren't after sprinters.
The BPFA(Basic Physical Fitness Assessment) is the standard one which brand new recuirts take on entry into the infantry..
1.5 mile run = 13mins Push ups 2 mins = 44 Sit ups 2 mins = 50
[/quote]