Share This Page:

sunburn

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
jarhead

sunburn

Post by jarhead »

well been on holiday(in sunny baisinstow) and was raining typicaly, went for a swim and somehow got sunburn.

was wondering what methods you find good for getting rid of it, basicaly my back all peeling off and cant sleep at night due to nerve endings keep me up:(

so far been a week and no goodness :( realy feeling the unfit stage, does anyone also knwo any excises for sunburn to do cos press-ups are a pain to try
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

This thread should not have been created. Sunburn has nothing to do with the Royal Marines.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
KSPO: 14/09/07
RT: 11/12/06
PRMC: 07/11/06
PJFT: 25/04/06 (8:53)
Security Check
Medical: 20/04/06
Selection Interview: 03/06
Eye Test: 02/06
Psychometric test: 01/02/06
Application: 01/06

Best 6 miler: 39:30!
JCAP3

Re: sunburn

Post by JCAP3 »

jarhead wrote: so far been a week and no goodness :( realy feeling the unfit stage, does anyone also knwo any excises for sunburn to do cos press-ups are a pain to try
Actually its a perfectly reasonable question Wedge.

Off the top of my head you could try bicep curls, military presses etc.

Try to get used to it and fight through the pain. They won't make any allowances in training.
ali_hire

Re: sunburn

Post by ali_hire »

JCAP3 wrote:Try to get used to it and fight through the pain. They won't make any allowances in training.
I have been sunburnt so many times that I don't actually feel the pain anymore (I burn really easily).

Trying to get used to it is probably going to be one of the best things you can do, I don't think the enemy are going to stop shooting at you so you can rub in your aftersun when you're in the desert.
Aways look on the bright side of life.
Illustrious

Aloha

Post by Illustrious »

For your sunburn you could also try vinegar as it hardens the skin and will remove alot of the pain. I always use to do it and considering im fair skinned, sunburn doesnt affect me as much anymore, I feel normal ;)

Illustrious
ali_hire

Re: Aloha

Post by ali_hire »

Illustrious wrote:Illustrious
Your signature is brilliant! :lol:
Aways look on the bright side of life.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

TheWedge wrote:This thread should not have been created. Sunburn has nothing to do with the Royal Marines.
Who are you? a moderator now....the man is joining the marines and he has a problem which is affecting his training, so why shouldn't he post for advice.

Jarhead: Put natural yoghurt on it and leave it for a while, this takes the heat right out of it, just make sure it's not flavoured, unless you want bits of strawberries on your back :-?
PRMC 25th July 06 Passed
RT 18th September 06 929 Tp
MD'd after week 19

now in process of joining RMR
Chris1983

Post by Chris1983 »

I heard natural yogurt is good, it helps sooth and cool the burn. Also, use loads of aftersun as this will moisurise the burnt areas and help where the peeling is taking its toll.

A point for the future, use sun cream :lol:

I know you said it was raining on this occasion, but if it is sunny you should be using sun cream as sun burn is very bad for you. A high factor (20+) should be good enough and you will still get a tan (for all the vain people out there :wink: ). If you are already burnt and have to go in the sun, use some sun block to prevent it getting worse.

And you don't get used to sun burn! Every time you get burnt more damage is done and the chances of permanent damage increases! Everyone should use sun cream!
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

jimbob wrote:
TheWedge wrote:This thread should not have been created. Sunburn has nothing to do with the Royal Marines.
Who are you? a moderator now....the man is joining the marines and he has a problem which is affecting his training, so why shouldn't he post for advice.
Many decent posters have left this board because of an influx in Wannabes posting tripe (I am not calling anyone in particular Wannabes and that includes jarhead). In the past 6 months I have seen some of the most ridiculous postings ever. The mods have asked several times to keep postings specific to the Royal Marines and to keep content relevant. There are a million and one pages of advice on the web about sunburn so there is no need to post stuff like that here. I am a member of the British Computer Society but would not post a message on their bulletin board asking for advice on sunburn, it just does not make sense.

I am not having a go at anyone, I know the board has run dry of sensible postings the past few months but thats because so much stuff has been covered and the site is now the most decent collection of Royal Marines info on the web, creating irrelevant topics for the sake of it is helping nobody. This is not a chat site, use MSN for that.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
Security Check

nufc_rulz

Post by nufc_rulz »

Mate you havent passed prmc yet so doesnt that make you a wannabe as well.
TheWedge

Post by TheWedge »

nufc_rulz wrote:Mate you havent passed prmc yet so doesnt that make you a wannabe as well.
Depends how you look at it. You don't have your green lid yet NUFC so you could be classed as a wannabe too, in which case we are both wannabes, but you are one step further down the wannabe line than me.

Creating flamebait is not going to make this topic any better, being in RT you should be defending the integrity of this board not trying to create flamebait. If you are supporting posting threads about sunburn as relevant then I guess this board is not going to get any better.

As I said in the earlier post, I am not having a go at anyone, just trying to help preserve the content of this board. So stop flaming me and stop posting pointless topics. this is the last reply I will make on this thread, I only replied to it originally to try and kill it, I did not expect people to take it seriously and actually reply with sun burn remedies.
42 CDO RM 18/09/07
Security Check

mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

TheWedge wrote:
nufc_rulz wrote:Mate you havent passed prmc yet so doesnt that make you a wannabe as well.
Depends how you look at it. You don't have your green lid yet NUFC so you could be classed as a wannabe too, in which case we are both wannabes, but you are one step further down the wannabe line than me.

Creating flamebait is not going to make this topic any better, being in RT you should be defending the integrity of this board not trying to create flamebait. If you are supporting posting threads about sunburn as relevant then I guess this board is not going to get any better.

As I said in the earlier post, I am not having a go at anyone, just trying to help preserve the content of this board. So stop flaming me and stop posting pointless topics. this is the last reply I will make on this thread, I only replied to it originally to try and kill it, I did not expect people to take it seriously and actually reply with sun burn remedies.
TheWedge

I do think you have a good point here :wink:

The thread is about joining/training not more general thread where it might have been posted.

Not sure we need a discussion on sunburn but it is a physical thing and others might have some good solutions they have tried. You can always alert a mod if you feel a thread needs to be moved (Not me as i don't have moving powers!!..)
Last edited by mfat_man on Fri 01 Sep, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg123

Post by Greg123 »

[quote There are a million and one pages of advice on the web about sunburn so there is no need to post stuff like that here. [/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.
themattmeister

Post by themattmeister »

Since this thread has been deemed "useless" I'd just like to add to it by saying.

ER, I THINK WE NEED TO EDIT THIS ONE!

END OF THREAD PLEASE :wink: MFAT

No place for ceiling cat then? :cry:

Ahh well. :D
Last edited by themattmeister on Sat 02 Sep, 2006 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Jarhead: Put natural yoghurt on it and leave it for a while, this takes the heat right out of it, just make sure it's not flavoured, unless you want bits of strawberries on your back

yer head about that, thanks.

been trying to do those press-ups but seems like no use just pain.

out of interest would going swimming be good? or bad ie infections ect.

ps to who that guy who thinks im wana bee.

i allready done a PRMC mate just wanted to know what exercises i could do while sunburnt thus dont slack on training, have you submitted your application?

dont want this to be a flame topic just wanted info about sunburn exercises/ is swimming good ect, no need to flame here.

"make love not war"