Share This Page:

RM - SAS

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
richard_jn

RM - SAS

Post by richard_jn »

I read a previous post about regular army being the ones that go to the SAS, and the RM being the ones that form the SBS.

Can someone from the RM apply for the SAS??
mfat_man

Re: RM - SAS

Post by mfat_man »

richard_jn wrote:I read a previous post about regular army being the ones that go to the SAS, and the RM being the ones that form the SBS.

Can someone from the RM apply for the SAS??
The way I have always undersood it is than anyone from any branch of the services can apply for SF after 3 years although the experts here might like to confirm that. Interestingly in his book Duncan Fletcher says he went straight from RM to SBS without doing anything like 3 years first :o
Rover

Post by Rover »

Previous post in this forum have pointed out that both SAS and SBS are now under the title of UKSF.

Anyone from the Army, Navy or Air Force can apply to join UKSF.

On passing the 'basic' selection course for UKSF you become a member of the SAS. :lol:

At the moment, should you wish to become a member of the SBS then there is a further selection covering the maritime side. :D :D

If you fail that you are still a member of the SAS.

It matters not which arm of the service you come from, more what comes from you.

Fletcher!!!!!!!

Duncan Falconer.

Rover
Chateau Lafite

Post by Chateau Lafite »

Almost right. But not quite.

You can join from any arm - as mentioned, but you opt either for SBS, or SAS. There is then a joint SF course, culminating in test week. i.e. selection is the same for both, then continuation which is run by both SBS, and SAS instructors in two groups. Then to unit. There is no extra 'Marine training' to join the SBS, all that is done in unit once you are in.

Incidentally why the hell would anyone from the RM WANT to join the SAS when there is the SBS:

1) Based in lovely Poole - not scummy Hereford. Sunnier, by the coast, with better nightclubs, beaches, and sexier girls.
2) The SAS has para's in it.
3) There is Money and assets flowing into Poole like it's going out of fashion (not saying there ain't into H, but cash/marine is higher in Poole).
4) X-Squadron is already based there.
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

What on earth is X-Squadron??!! Do they have those X-Wing fighters from star wars? How can I join? Do you have to pass test week at 10kph with no clothes?

(Answer to the first question is mandatory....others are optional)

KD
Shuttleworth

Post by Shuttleworth »

King_duck wrote:Do you have to pass test week at 10kph with no clothes?
LoL
Re-Join Date: 25th June 2007
Greg The Great

Post by Greg The Great »

King_duck wrote:What on earth is X-Squadron??!! Do they have those X-Wing fighters from star wars? How can I join? Do you have to pass test week at 10kph with no clothes?

(Answer to the first question is mandatory....others are optional)

KD
Check this out. It's dated June 2004 but might be true to date, then again it might not because it's in the Sun...

Greg.
Never chop wood in a rubber dinghy.
druadan

Post by druadan »

Chateau Lafite hit's the nail on the head. Selection is now joint, and both services are open to all applicants. The only difference is the continuation training, by the time you get to that stage you are through the official 'Selection,' though I am led to believe you can still be binned if you don't come up to scratch. In the current climate it seems unlikely, if you got that far you would be given remedial training, simply because SF is so short on manpower at the moment.

Current dit is £50k golden hello if you sign on for five years plus the £40k-odd SF salary. Almost enough to convince me it's worth the effort :o
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Surely they all go to the trees together for their 'continuation' training? They can certainly get binned from there!

Remedial training?! The DS are 'Custodians' of a standard remember..:P
neil1955

Post by neil1955 »

Rover wrote:Previous post in this forum have pointed out that both SAS and SBS are now under the title of UKSF.

Anyone from the Army, Navy or Air Force can apply to join UKSF.

On passing the 'basic' selection course for UKSF you become a member of the SAS. :lol:

At the moment, should you wish to become a member of the SBS then there is a further selection covering the maritime side. :D :D

It matters not which arm of the service you come from, more what comes from you.

Fletcher!!!!!!!

Duncan Falconer.
Rover this load of tripe is so far off the mark I am not even going to bother putting you straight as I have said many times on these forums,
IF YOU DONT KNOW KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT.
If you cannot help sprouting like this do it somewhere you might be believed LA LA land maybe, read some other posts by people who know before pretending to know what you are on about :evil:
Rover
The Brecon Becons still stand Pen-y Fan is still a pain it makes no differance jnr, snr, selection, it stays with you ............
druadan

Post by druadan »

If by 'trees' you mean the second (jungle) stage of the selection process, then yes they go together, and no that's not what I meant. That is still selection. By continuation training I mean the unit specific stuff that depends on what your actual job is eg. I imagine the SAS are taught to jump out of planes and SB to dive as a broad generalisation :roll: What I meant by the comment that you can still be binned at this stage is that I believe once you have passed selection and joined your unit you have a probationary period, if you don't come up to standard then RTU.
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Ahhh - I'm with you, after they are badged type malarky..
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well hello Neil,

Realy not sure where you are coming from, so perhaps you can clarify!
Previous post in this forum have pointed out that both SAS and SBS are now under the title of UKSF.

Anyone from the Army, Navy or Air Force can apply to join UKSF
Perhaps you regard the above as a "load of tripe"?

At the moment, should you wish to become a member of the SBS then there is a further selection covering the maritime side. :lol: :lol:

Perhaps the implication that the SBS requires more from you than the SAS touched a nerve? :D
Think about it.
Fletcher!!!!!!! Duncan Falconer.
Just correcting.

As regards reading some other post!

You may care to look at the following.

SC**2 a Walter. Just trawl down the headings in the SF forum. Analyse.

Before you shout it pays to think first.

Gidion was right. :wink:

Regards
Rover
Mike_222

Post by Mike_222 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but both Neil and Rover claim to be ex-SF? (No, really, correct me if i am wrong because i may well be!)

And it would seem both seem to question the other's integrity...

Could it be time for the first 'walt-off'?

The very prospect excites me.
mfat_man

Post by mfat_man »

Mike_222 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but both Neil and Rover claim to be ex-SF? (No, really, correct me if i am wrong because i may well be!)

And it would seem both seem to question the other's integrity...

Could it be time for the first 'walt-off'?

The very prospect excites me.
Shall we open a book then??? :lol: Place your bets folks!