Share This Page:

Potential RMR recruit

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines Reserve.
bikerboyaus

Potential RMR recruit

Post by bikerboyaus »

Hey!

I am currently a serving Police Officer who is currently disliking his job a great deal. I have an average standard of fitness. However I realy like the look of the RMR to join and see how things go there with the possibility of joining up as a full time RM (all going well!).

Can any of you reccomend a training programme that would help me out any, as I said, I'm of average fitness level, 5'10", 12st, average build. I will definately be able to train 3 days per week possibly 4 days.

Also do you stick to a set eating regeime and take supplements etc or do you eat what you want in moderation!?

Your help is much appreciated!

Sorry if the spelling leaves a lot to be desired.

AS :evil:
"I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose!!"
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

im training for my 2nd RMR PRMC at the moment, hoping to join the police after university.

at the moment my training plan consists of:
Monday - REST, sometimes a light swim

Tuesday - 1 x 1.5 mile run, set of 45mins circuits focusing on upper body

Wednesday - 1 x 3 mile run, same circuits, occasionally football instead of the circuits

Thursday - REST

Friday - 1 x 3 mile run, gym (treadmill, rowing machine, bike)

Saturday - 1 x 1.5 mile run, circuits

Sunday - circuits, sometimes football

im steadily trying to get back to a level where i can run 4-5 miles reasonably but finding it hard at the moment, cursed with injuries. currently my 1.5 mile time is at 10 minutes flat. (not treadmill)

circuits usually consist of press ups, sit ups, pull ups, squats, burpees etc etc

what times are you currently running in?
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
bikerboyaus

Post by bikerboyaus »

Borisimo - thanks for your reponse! I don't know how the Police force in your area view people joining them whilst being in a reserve armed force, centainly the one I currently serve in do nt let people join in they are serving reservists. However - once you are in the door they do allow you to join - however everyone from the Chief :evil: down to the cleaner has to say yes basically. If one person says no then thats the end of it! If I were you - find out the view of the Police Force you wish to join then consider what you want more - Police/RM(R)! It maybe different in England as opposed to Scotland so do a fair bit of digging with the Force you wish to apply to - before you put pen to paper.

Flo - thanks for that - reply to your PM getting sent into electronic oblivion as we speak! :wink:
borisimo

Post by borisimo »

Yeah i made sure i checked it out before i applied and they way they do it in the met and kent is they have a certain amount of people allowed in the reserve forces at a time apparently, and you aren't allowed to be in the reserves while on probabtion. so i'd have to give up RMR for the 2 years im on probabtion until a slot opens up, but at least i should have my green lid by then if im capable of it (still got 2 years at university to go through)

Have to say it seems these days that being involved with the military is more of a bad thing than a good thing as far as the police go, where as before it might not have been that way.

As far as eating goes I just try to have 3 decent balanced meals a day with the odd snack in between. Sometimes i have a chocolate protein shake if I havent been getting enough protein that week for whatever reason. If you want more info on that a good book is Fighting Fit by Adrian Weale, covers lots of ground on training and a good diet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752 ... e&n=266239
Applied: 11th November 05
Written test: Passed
Interview: Passed
Medical: Passed
PJFT: Passed 9.47
PRMC: october
bikerboyaus

Post by bikerboyaus »

Borisimo - Cheers for that I will give the 3 square meals a try - grazing is a problem for me! Quite a fan of the protein shakes also, will stick to it with them as a 'top up' also. Ordered that book also from the site - will keep you updated how I get on with it.
Yoz

Post by Yoz »

fighting fit....very good book!!
halford

Post by halford »

yeah, it is a good book, lots of nutrional info and fitness tips. does anyone have any opinions on the "AACC" fitness programme in the back of the book? any suggestions on how to improve it?
Bitty

Post by Bitty »

the RM work out seemed like Para one but replaced some stuff with swimming. Also it was a little short on info to be honest, there was more detail in the Para section